Logo

1969 Mercury 110 9.8 hp need parts

Gwilcox

I recently acquired this outboard and discovered I had fuel problems. I ordered parts to rebuild the fuel pump. Then I discovered that the plastic housing is badly cracked around the fitting at the fuel inlet fitting. Where can you get parts for these old motors? Are there upgrades to these older units with parts available that work with these older motors minor modifications? Right now I am thinking of the fuel pump / carburetor.
Thanks in advance,
Gerald Wilcox

Laing's Outboards (Buffalo NY area) carries a number of parts for vintage Mercs. There is also a place called Twin City Outboard (Minneapolis area) that sells recycled parts - not cheap but sometimes the only source.

I personally don't know of anyone successfully retrofitting a newer carb onto an older motor. I don't see why it couldn't be done - might have to make up a different mount, fiddle with the jets etc, but if you were determined and mechanically able it might work. But if you are asking if there is a simple off the shelf, bolt it up kinda retro-kit, none that I have heard of.

Thanks for the quick reply! I just checked another motor I have and think that I can change out the screen tower on the carburetors and retrofit a newer style fuel pump to the carb. Does anyone know why that wouldn't work? It's a smaller motor but I wonder how much difference there is in fuel pressures with these smaller outboards.

Done several old and early Merc twins since the stock fuel pump was never strong enough. (Merc even admits this with published instructions on what else to use.)

Any small after market pump--a Mikuni is my favorite--will work well. It's a bit challenging, getting all the hose in there, but doable.

Jeff

I did put a Mikuni fuel pump on, but must have carburetion problems motor starts right up idles up nice and smooth, runs for 3 seconds and dies, Like it's out of fuel. Needle and seat issues maybe? Anything else to look for? I don't know if the new fuel pump has any check valves in it, the old original one did......

Updated- cleaned and replaced needle and seat, started up and ran for 10 minutes. long enough to adjust the idle screw. It ran great and I shut it off. I tried it 5 minutes later, the motor started and ran 3 seconds like before and then died. Haven't been able to keep it running since. any thoughts?

Somehow the needle is sticking (or you have an air leak before the pump). If the latter, see what could cause it to stick. If an air leak, try replacing both halves of the fuel connector, and tightening the air/ pulse connections.

Keep trying--you'll get it!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I had already bypassed the gas connectors from the tank to the motor and run that hose direct to the fuel pump as these leak and are the older smaller gas connectors. I found the larger gas connectors, but I'm not sure where to get the smaller ones or if they can be rebuilt.
I will continue to check for potential air leaks. I got it to idle down nice when I did get it running, but I have the idle adjustment screw turned in quite a bit. It's probably only a half turn out. Maybe this is because it's compensating with an air leak elsewhere......

Just a follow-up. For a 48 year-old motor, its really running very nice. Idles down low stays running, quick response to full throttle no hiccups. Replaced all the gas lines, re tightened all the fittings. Lower unit has a small oil leak, and engine runs smokey. I'm running 50 to 1 fuel ratio, I need to check what is recommended for that motor, and determined that I have the right plugs in it. Thanks to all who responded you were a lot of help!

Last edited:
Back