Logo
Click for Crusader parts and manuals!

Default 2006 Crusader 6.0 with a seized block!

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and to the Crusader engines. My wife and I purchased a cabin cruiser with twin 6.0s a couple of months ago. Of course we did everything we were supposed to do and had the boat and engines inspected. The port side engine had been rebuilt back in 2015 but was barely used (only had about 20 hours on it). This recent rebuild should have been a red flag, but I got a false sense of security from a good survey.

A couple weekends ago we had the boat on plane and the port engine shut down abruptly. After stumbling back to port I tried to start the motor but found that it was seized pretty good. I pulled the plugs and found that the #6 plug had been smashed in.

The heads have since been pulled and revealed catastrophic engine damage. The #6 piston is in pieces and lodged in the crankshaft. The cylinder walls are scored pretty bad.

In looking for a replacement long block, I've found that they are very difficult to come by. Standard marine rebuilders for the most part haven't heard of this engine, and the one place that has wants 6,900 + 2,500 core!

I've determined that this engine is built on a GM LQ4 engine block and have started looking at auto rebuilders for a reman long block.

My question to the forum is: what do you think about using an automotive reman long block for this application? Other than a possibly different cam shaft, water pump, and oil pan, does anybody know of other parts that Crusader swapped from the standard GM block?

Any advice would be appreciated! I want to make sure we have a reliable replacement, but can't afford the 16k+ that a complete engine from Crusader would run.

thanks in advance!!
    -Dave

Default Re: 2006 Crusader 6.0 with a seized block!

Since the cost of the build, the exhaust and all the parts will come close to 75% of the cost of the new complete drop in. I would find the money for the Crusader complete engine.
    Chris
    Dockside Marine Services
    Jersey Shore.
    Mercruiser/Mercury Certified
    Let the insanity begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Docksidemarineservices View Post
    Since the cost of the build, the exhaust and all the parts will come close to 75% of the cost of the new complete drop in. I would find the money for the Crusader complete engine.
    Thanks Chris, I really appreciate that you took the time to read this and to give advice.

Would you mind explaining what parts you are referring to? When I removed the exhaust the manifolds looked almost perfect (this is all FWC in the exhaust) and the risers as well. New risers are only about $200 each.

Are there other parts that will need to be changed that I'm not aware of? I don't want to be 'penny wise and pound foolish'.

Any Grease is Better,... Than No grease at All....

Hello all!

I'm extremely happy to announce that our boat is back on the water. I was able to source a well reman'd long block and found a great local boatyard that was able to assist with pulling the old block and dropping in the new one. So far, we've got about 8 hours on the new engine and the boat is running better than ever.

If anybody out there is ever in the same position I was in, I've started a blog to chronicle my experience with getting Done Rampin' back on the water. Hopefully this will help to pass on some hard-earned knowledge to someone else who needs it - http://crusaderblue.com

Dave, short of low oil pressure and/or over-heating, Marine Load Detonation is the gasoline Marine Engine's worst enemy!

If by chance you re-used the precious ignition system, and/or the previous FI system, you may want to verify that these components were NOT the cause of the initial failure.
    You certainly DO NOT want a re-peat of the prior failure due to these components!

I have seen and have heard of this occurring before....... It is not pretty!

Rick ... aka Ricardo..... AQ series Volvo Penta repair
    Portland, Oregon
    28' SDN F/B w/ twin Volvo Penta 5.7L DP's

Please... no PMs! Post your questions on the forum.