Logo

Mercury Outboard Flywheel Magnets

MiBad

I have a 1989 Mercury 115 HP outboard. I purchased a replacement flywheel for it from a 60 HP Merc because both flywheels had the same part number stamped on them (261-9007-c2). I have since discovered that the flywheels are not compatible (different crank hole size and different weight). Does anyone know if the magnets can be swapped from the 60 to the 115 flywheel? The magnets look similar with the exception of the 60 HP have a slight bevel to the backside of them. Also if I do swap magnets how precise do I have to be with the placement of the magnets? There is only one magnet still holding on my original 115 flywheel and the distance between the magnets is not equal between all of the magnets on the 60 HP flywheel. Of course I would epoxy them as close as possible to the original location using the residual marks on the 115 flywheel as a template.

Think about what would happen if one of them tore loose at 5 grand!

I have a flywheel that might work for you. Measure the ID of the magnets and post a photo of what you have.

Jeff

Thanks for all replies...
faztbullet - I am not sure what you mean? Do you mean you 'wont swap' the magnets or flywheel? Or do you mean if I did move the magnets from the 60 hp to the 115 hp the magnets would not put out enough magnetic flux to induce the current in the stator ? I know Mercury does not offer replacement magnets or recommend replacement of individual magnets, while OMC does make magnet replacement kits and they seem to work for their flywheels. I'm just not sure what would make the Mercury flywheels different?
fastjeff - I appreciate the offer. I'll try to get some pics posted as soon as I can. In the meantime, I'm going to pick up a geometric compass to help in measuring the size of the magnets. It's difficult to measure the magnets while they are epoxied to the flywheel and I don't want to attempt to remove any from the 60HP flywheel until I am sure I am going to do this.

fastjeff - My Merc is a 1989 115 HP (4 cyl) serial number begins with 0Dxxx (I can't remember the rest of it). I came up with this list of part numbers for the flywheel - 261-859236T12, 261-859236T11, 261-859236T10, 261-878227T4, or 261-9008A9. My phone is not charged enough to use the camera so I can't post pics yet, but if you have a flywheel that you think will work let me know.

fastjeff - I attached some pics of my flywheel. Let me know if what you have is the same...Thanks
All I can read of my serial number is OD0159....cannot make out the rest of it.

Attachments

• Flywheel115HPfront.jpg
    Flywheel115HPfront.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 508
  • FlyWheel115Top.jpg
    FlyWheel115Top.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Flywheel115Bot.jpg
    Flywheel115Bot.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 436
Sorry, but that's the newer Yamaha-ish style. The one I have is the old Merc type with the plate bolted to the hub.

Jeff

Not sure what a 4 cyl looper flywheel would be, but I previously ordered one flywheel from Ebay that had the same part number stamped on it that mine has and while it looked similar it was for the wrong size crank. It also weighed more than my flywheel which might have thrown something else off. But since I had the flywheel in hand, I came up with the idea of swapping the magnets to my original flywheel. I might have continued with this endeavor but it looks like it would be a PITA if not impossible to remove the magnets without doing some damage to them. I experimented with my bad flywheel trying to loosen the last remaining magnet with acetone and later freezing it. Neither worked; part of the problem could be that the magnets are resting on a small lip that circles the inner flywheel and limits downward movement when the magnet is struck (if that makes sense). I would have tried heat but that is supposed lessen the magnetic strength of the magnet. The part number for my flywheel has been replaced several times, but I was able to find a NOS flywheel using one of the previous part numbers, so I ordered that one. I don't think I would hesitate reattaching a magnet or two to a flywheel using a good epoxy if the magnets were not damaged, but moving from one to another could be impractical.

Back