Logo

Yamaha Prov 150

jjwood100

Took the boat out...was ridin about 20 mins and decided to start fishing. I put it in neutral and the engine died. I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. I had to be towed in. I got it home and it will not start. When I turn the key it just clicks once and nothing. Batteries are charged. What could it be? Also to mention when I turn the key the lights do not come on.
One person told me it is nothing major, other told me lower unit could be blown. It is at the shop now but I am on pins and needles.

I wouldn't seek advice in the future from whomever told you the lower unit could be blown. From what you've described this is a power issue, not a mechanical issue. When you key ON the ignition and no accessories power on, such as the lights, would point to a power supply or delivery problem. You say batteries are fully charged, so this would mean power is not being delivered. Start by checking all battery connections. Free of corrosion and nutted down tight. Check connections on battery selector switch if you have one. Trace battery cables back to engine where they connect to starter motor. Once you've done all that, try starting motor. If still no good, get a multimeter and volt drop test the circuit.

I wouldn't seek advice in the future from whomever told you the lower unit could be blown. From what you've described this is a power issue, not a mechanical issue. When you key ON the ignition and no accessories power on, such as the lights, would point to a power supply or delivery problem. You say batteries are fully charged, so this would mean power is not being delivered. Start by checking all battery connections. Free of corrosion and nutted down tight. Check connections on battery selector switch if you have one. Trace battery cables back to engine where they connect to starter motor. Once you've done all that, try starting motor. If still no good, get a multimeter and volt drop test the circuit.

The guy called me last night from the shop (same guy that said it could be the lower unit...said he replaced a few fuses and the lights now work when you turn the key but still only one click from the motor so he doesn't think it is a power issue. He says it isn't the starter because it won't start when you hold a wrench to it. He keeps asking if any alarms went off and there were no alarms. I am beyond irritated because I just bought this boat last Wednesday and the 2nd time I take it out this happens. I am wondering if the guy that sold it to me knew the motor was about to go out.

Back