Logo

2003 Honda 225

I will look at taking the pump out and look for a screen to clean, I dont see a screen on the parts diagram. I sure hope when that pump slides out and springs and pieces dont go every direction.

Whats the life expectancy of a fuel pump, should I change it out while I am there?

part 28 the housing with the crack is $110, Part 33 fuel pump is another $207 if that is wise to replace, if I cant get the busted bolts out of the pump case (part 26), that is another $103. When does a guy just go buy another motor? :rolleyes:

I didnt sleep well worrying about getting these parts back in place, lots of bolts and hoses came apart getting the fuel system out :(

Don't know the mean time to failure on those pumps, but they seem to be quite reliable. There have been very few reports of failed pumps on this forum that I am aware of. Of course, you have over 2000 hours on that engine, so it's a toss up. If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and replace it while I'm in there.

Lesson learned - when you take one of these apart, or any engine for that matter, take a lot of pictures.

I took a lot of pics, tried to number hoses and fittings, I still thinks it going to be a PIA

This morning two of those busted bolts unscrewed with some persuasion, The other two the stubs broke off, and now I am down to easy outs.

If you haven't you should order the factory service manual. It was $119 or so when I got mine. It makes all the work you are doing so much easier. Everything is in line drawings with clear instructions. It is a great resource.

That runty bolt is weird. I have one down in that area too. I wonder if Honda had some batches get through QC?

Update and question

The cracked high pressure fuel filter housing is on a national back order, had to find one on a shelf and did so at Honda of Georgia, it arrived yesterday after a trip across the country, the balance of the parts (gaskets, or rings etc..) should arrive Monday if the eclipse doesnt mess up traffic to bad.

The one part I am not sure how it goes back together and it may not matter is the plate on top of the fuel filter, it fell out of its place before I had a chance to get a pic of it, my SELOC manual doesnt say if it goes any certain direction, but it has 4 outer ears and 3 inner openings. Depending on which direction I rotate it, the openings are in different spots on top of the fuel pump.

Does it matter which direction the plate goes?

pl2.jpg
Plate in one possible orientation
pl1.jpg
From SELOC manual
pl3.jpg

It looks like you have it correct. The Helm Manual does not mention a specific line up - just that the electrical terminals need to line up correctly. Page 5-90.

Be VERY careful about depending on that Seloc manual. Lots of errors and omissions.

Report - I got the parts in and began the daunting task of putting it all back together. A couple of those hoses are a PIA to get on the fuel assembly, but I got them all hooked up and I was praying they were in the correct spots. Got the intake manifold all back together and when i was done I didnt have any bolts left over. About two hours getting it all back together.

I hooked up the garden hose and she started right up. I let it idle for 10 minutes, no alarms, no issues. The port exhaust manifold seemed hot when the Starboard one didnt. Got my temp gun and the starboard was 170, the port was 125. I didnt get to concerned since I had about the same temp on the ocean a couple weeks ago on each side. Thought it might just be a garden hose thing.

Took the boat to the river tonight, and ran it for 14 minutes on the trailer while backed in the water. Ran the rpms up and then let it sit at idle. The alarm never came on, and I forgot to take my temp gun, but both manifolds felt the same and were easy to touch.

I think I have it whipped at this time, and hope for an uneventful finish to the tuna season.

I cant think this forum enough for helping me thru these issues. Chawk, you are awesome!!

That sounds great! I suspect that the fuel leak was clearly the source of the sheen on the water and likely indicated low fuel pressure to the ECU, which then threw a code "1". That in turn, made the ECU dump more fuel into the cylinders which dropped fuel economy, caused your sooty exhausts, and carboned up your plugs. Fixing the leak, hopefully fixed all those issues. Let us know.

If there was a way to ship some fresh albacore to eastern Virginia, I'd be doing a little politicking at this point. Would exchange some Spanish mackerel or fall rock fish (striped bass.)

Got a tuna trip in yesterday, first launch since the repairs. Put another 13 hours on the motor, ran 125 gps miles, motor ran perfect. No alarms, no sheen on the water. Thanks again for helping me thru these issues.

BTW - it wasnt a stellar day chasing albacore, but we harvested 6 fish that weighed 140lbs on a certified scale.

Back