Logo

318 hesitation/power loss while underway

Drfeno

This may be a vague question with many possible answers, but I figured I'd ask just in case anyone had this happen to them. A few days ago, I was underway in pretty calm conditions, both engines at about 2800 rpm. While watching the tachometers, my port engine would lose about 2-300 rpm for a second or two, and then come back to 2800. This would happen about every 20 seconds. At first I thought maybe sea conditions were turning us, and forcing the port prop backwards, or maybe it was an instrument malfunction. But the boat would turn to port when it happened, so it was definitely losing power and then coming back. After I came down to no wake speed and then back up to cruise, the issue disappeared. Even the next day when going home, the issue was not there. After we anchored (right after the behavior occurred), I got down and looked at the motor. I checked the coil and cap plug wires. the coil wire boot had come a little loose, and when I unplugged it from the coil, there was oil on it. I cleaned it off, and made sure it was securely plugged in. Of course it could have been a fuel issue as well, but that would be harder to check out. I had plenty of gas in the tank at the time.

Thanks,

Dave

Back