Logo

starter was grinding now it won't turn flywheel

Bigmac48

I have a 1998 OMC Cobra with a Volvo Penta 5.7 260 hp Ran great till last month it made some noise on starting then it would only make grinding noise ,sometimes turning a little . I finally got to it and replaced the starter twice no difference . took it to a marina , they felt it was a problem with the flywheel and they didn't want to do the job. Took the boat home and built a frame and pulled the engine . the fly wheel looks ok ? no missing teeth , it will turn with the use of a 8 inch pry bar one or two teeth at a time . So I tested the starter on the engine the pinon shaft is to far from the flywheel and no matter how I shim it I get the same result - the starter gear comes out and fits into the flywheel then -loud click - it can't or won't turn the wheel . the gear doesn't return into starter after charge is removed until I pry the wheel a little bit. Sooo. whats up some bearing to tight -bad ? or is it locked up some how ? Help

I have a 1998 OMC Cobra
OMC had long since been out of business by 1998 as a result of Volvo Penta having purchased the company back in 1994 or so.

with a Volvo Penta 5.7 260 hp Ran great till last month it made some noise on starting then it would only make grinding noise ,sometimes turning a little . I finally got to it and replaced the starter twice no difference . took it to a marina , they felt it was a problem with the flywheel and they didn't want to do the job.
Took the boat home and built a frame and pulled the engine . the fly wheel looks ok ? no missing teeth , it will turn with the use of a 8 inch pry bar one or two teeth at a time
Be very careful........ you may break a tooth.

So I tested the starter on the engine the pinon shaft is to far from the flywheel and no matter how I shim it I get the same result
You have an I/O boat, which means that your starter motor mounts in the standard and conventional automotive position.
Shimming a SBC starter motor does not bring the pinion gear closer to, or further away from, the flywheel ring gear.

- the starter gear comes out and fits into the flywheel then -loud click - it can't or won't turn the wheel . the gear doesn't return into starter after charge is removed until I pry the wheel a little bit. Sooo. whats up some bearing to tight -bad ? or is it locked up some how ? Help
Treat yourself to a new HTGR/PMGR starter motor and make dang sure that you get the correct bolts with it.

I just spent a 1/2 hour typing what I did and what my starter problem turned out to be and as i posted it I lost most of it so--
I was wrong there was a lot of water in the engine . still not sure which problem -leaking heads, bad exhaust manifolds/risers or back flow but the engine is shot. with it's age I am going with a new one . Hydro lock in 40+ yrs of boating and 4 boats never knew it could happen by back flow .
my question should have been [HOW MUCH WATER CAN MY ENGINE HOLD]
Will try to let you know how I make out with the new one .
Thanks to all who answered my post and also those in other posts , all of which I used to narrow down what I needed to do

...................... still not sure which problem -leaking heads, bad exhaust manifolds/risers or back flow but the engine is shot. with it's age I am going with a new one . Hydro lock in 40+ yrs of boating and 4 boats never knew it could happen by back flow .

Thanks to all who answered my post and also those in other posts , all of which I used to narrow down what I needed to do

Before you install a fresh 5.7L SBC, find out what caused the problem in the first place....... exhaust manifold, etc?????
If you re-use a part that may have caused this, you may have an expensive repeat!

Before you install a fresh 5.7L SBC, find out what caused the problem in the first place....... exhaust manifold, etc?????
If you re-use a part that may have caused this, you may have an expensive repeat!

I'm not using anything off the old engine but the power steering pump and alt. etc . I got new exhaust and risers coming and a new -5.&L( Enhanced Base ) Marine Engine Assembly-from Eagle Engine sales . But I am in the process of tearing down the old engine to find out why . I did learn that volvo penta sent out service bullitin that exhaust flaps were no longer needed and I don't have any on mine . Others said you just have to be careful how you drive
thanks again rick -I do not want a repeat I will let you know what I find - it may take a while as we have a lake cottage and that where my wife wants to be and I took the boat home.

You have to check the design of the exhaust elbows... For a while there, MERC ( and many aftermarket) exhaust elbows, had a design issue wherein "reversion", water back into the engine happened. See below.

http://www.michel-christen.com/ExhaustElbows.pdf

Wow! Thanks for the link- there's a lot of info there
my y pipe has the holes for the flapper but no flapper . and the elbows are not here yet to check the design .
He talked about a resonator kit to correct the problem but as of now I have not found any for the OMC or volvo penta exhaust.
still working on it thanks for the helpful info I understand more now

Back