Logo

73 Crestliner 17' 165HP Stringer GM250 I6 motor. Are my motor mount attachments bent?

RonInIdaho

Hi. First time here. Hoping someone can tell me if I'm on the right track or not. I recently bought this boat that's been sitting for 5 years. Got the motor running, but the tilt and trim motors were not working. Replaced the tilt motor and think that's good now. Still need to replace the trim motor. Transom seal bellows were sort of attached with some crappy silicone so I removed it to get to the tilt motor easier and to seal it better. Transom wood seems solid so that's a plus. When I tried to put the bellows back on, it doesn't want to stretch high enough to reach the screw holes. It seems like there is a much bigger gap above the intermediate housing than below it. I figured I would undo the selectrim tilt system which is frozen in place and see if I could lower the front of the motor a bit. When I removed the selectrim mount in the front, I found that the pulley on the motor has been rubbing against it and they were wearing each other away. I don't think this should be possible if the motor mounts are in the right place. I can see that the attachment at the top of the selectrim is not in line with the center of the motor mounts but is more toward the bow. This makes me wonder if it's possible that someone backed the outdrive into something and pushed the whole motor forward of where it should be by a couple of inches. The motor mounts at the rear seem to confirm my theory as they appear to be tilted forward instead of being level. I don't know if I'm explaining it well so I created a short video and put it on Youtube here if you want to take a look. Hope that's ok to do here. https://youtu.be/aw3jOwy7Thg. My question is, are the rear mounts supposed to be like this or are they bent, and does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix it without having to remove the whole motor? Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• Selectrim.jpg
    Selectrim.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back