Logo

Suzuki DF2.5 keeps bending valves?

dlip

We have a Suzuki DF2.5. Bought brand new and has less than 20 hours. The exhaust valve bent after around 8 hours for some reason and was repaired under warranty. Now we probably have another 8 hours on it and it just happened again. Both times the motor was running when we docked the boat. We then were gone for about a month and when I came back to start the motor their was no compression. What defect in the motor could cause this to happen? The motor is stored on a dinghy next to our boat in a tilted up position.

The first time we took the motor in the repair shop claimed we had dropped it in water - which we had not (not sure if it is possible that trying to start it for such a long period of time could have allowed water into the exhaust?) Anyway they finally agreed to repair it under warranty but said it shouldn't have been. Just returned home yesterday and went to start the motor and again zero compression. Both times before we let the boat sit the motor did seem to be running a bit rougher than previously.

I have a Suzuki DF2.5 that has about 40 hours on it as has been very well looked after. It was working fine when I put it on its stand in my garage. Six weeks later it wouldn't start and the dealer has just advised me it has bent valves. Can anyone provide any insight as to when this occurred. Replacing the bent valves doesn't address the reason they bent in the first place.

Dlip how did things turn out with your motor. Any advice.

I have a Suzuki DF2.5 that has about 40 hours on it as has been very well looked after. It was working fine when I put it on its stand in my garage. Six weeks later it wouldn't start and the dealer has just advised me it has bent valves. Can anyone provide any insight as to when this occurred. Replacing the bent valves doesn't address the reason they bent in the first place.

Dlip how did things turn out with your motor. Any advice.
Never figured out the problem - I ended up scrapping the motor and buying a Yamaha. Very happy with the Yamaha.

Never figured out the problem - I ended up scrapping the motor and buying a Yamaha. Very happy with the Yamaha.

My motor back-fired a couple times when I was trying to start it. I don't whether or not this could have caused the bent valves or was a result of bent valves.

We are having the same problems with a 2018 DF6A. Still under warranty. We have had numerous problems with valves sticking open, after the motor is stored for longer than a few weeks. We have had both intake and exhaust valves stick open and closed. We did not bend a valve, but did bend push rods. We feel Suzuki has a problem here. The engine was repaired under warranty, with the whole valve train and head replaced, but it failed again after that, with a stuck open exhaust valve causing no compression. Engine only has 30 hrs on it, because we can’t keep it running. Please join us in calling Suzuki in Brea California at (714) 572-1490 so we can get them to issue a recall on these lemons before they go out of warranty. I called them today. I believe they have improper clearances between the valves and guides that are causing the valves to stick. If a valve is stuck open, ether the pushrod, or valve, is going to bend when you pull the starter and try to turn the engine and the piston contacts the valve.

Last edited:
We have a Suzuki DF2.5. Bought brand new and has less than 20 hours. The exhaust valve bent after around 8 hours for some reason and was repaired under warranty. Now we probably have another 8 hours on it and it just happened again. Both times the motor was running when we docked the boat. We then were gone for about a month and when I came back to start the motor their was no compression. What defect in the motor could cause this to happen? The motor is stored on a dinghy next to our boat in a tilted up position.

The first time we took the motor in the repair shop claimed we had dropped it in water - which we had not (not sure if it is possible that trying to start it for such a long period of time could have allowed water into the exhaust?) Anyway they finally agreed to repair it under warranty but said it shouldn't have been. Just returned home yesterday and went to start the motor and again zero compression. Both times before we let the boat sit the motor did seem to be running a bit rougher than previously.

Suzuki has a problem with corrosion forming around the valve area during storage. I have been in contact with another owner, who is having the same issue. There is also a thread on Suzukioutboardmotrforums.com, with an owner having the same issues. Suzuki so far, has not admitted to any issues. Our engine has been down for months due to the valve issue, and now the shops are closed due to the corona virus.

Same issue here with a 2018 DF6A suzuki. Waiting on dealer to fix it then will ask him if he will take it on consignment and see if he will give me a good price on a Yamaha.

Back