Logo

HEI distributor noise

bobct

Advanced Contributor
Sorry, I feel like I'm posting every 5 minutes the past few weeks. I just can't see to get over the hump on my RPM issue and this post is indirectly related.

To make it more exciting, I have also added a new problem in the process. I upgraded to HEI distributors on both engines, plugs and wires. (Video link below)

Does anyone recognize what this sound might be? I swapped distributors first, then the cap/rotor. and the issue did not move. It's coming from right inside the cap. If I loosen the lockdown and move the rotor slightly, (like adj the timing), the sound will change and I can "feel" it. The other side is fine. It does not have a heavy sound, it almost sounds like an old whiny power steering pump on a car.

Any ideas appreciated on this issue. I was hoping to get this side buttoned up because any other fuel/pressure testing I do on this engine is accessible with my wet bar reinstalled. I have to feel good about this first though.

https://youtu.be/6-ap-2ScVTk

Last edited:
can't check video hear.....based on your description, it could be no enough endplay in the distributor - could be binding the oil pump drive. were there any anomolies when you pulled the origina distributor?

Mark,

No, nothing unusual (def no noise) from the original Prestolite units. There is a lot of endplay on these HEI units but I understand that is the norm. One is about twice the other but no change in sound. I would be interested to see what you think of the noise when you can listen. Unfortunately I'm layering this problem on top of my original issue.

I hate to revert back to my original distributor(s) but could do so if absolutely necessary.

Thanks
Bob

cant say I could hear anything definitive.....

if they are custom made units, they could have made one of the housing too long.....you can always measure the two....they could have also failed to put the thrust washer(s) over the shaft before the gear was pinned on the noisy one....

Back