Logo

1957 Chrysler Crown generator voltage regulators

Ned L

A real shot in the dark here, ...................
I have a pair of 1957 Chrysler Crown M47's that need new voltage regulators for the generators. I have had no luck (zero, zilch, nothing) finding out what currently available regulator will work properly with these engines.

This is a 12V system.

The generators are marked with GJU-7502 (which is a Prestolite #), and 2095364 (which is a Chrysler #), and 9E000232 (I haven't figured out what this number is yet).

The engine manual calls for Autolite VRU-6002BM regulators, which seem to cross to the Chrysler # 1550 579. I have had no luck crossing these regulator numbers to anything that is available today.
There is a hand notation in the engine manual that an appropriate regulator is a Borg Warner R-185, but that is unconfirmed.

Any help as to what currently available regulator will work would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I'd suggest finding a good auto electric shop...preferably with a few grey haired individuals.....

If that dont pan out, you can always try the BW part, assuming you can locate a pair....

there always the alternator conversion.......

Still chasing this problem. Unfortunately a conversion to an alternator is not a option. These generators are gear driven off the timing gear (there are no V-belts or pulleys on these engines. Whatever you use has to fit into just this hole in the bell housing, mesh with the timing gear, and it also drives the waterpump out the other side of the bell housing.

I agree with Mark. Find a gray haired tech who will hopefully be familiar with these older generators and regulators.

Does this look like your engine?

1957 Chrysler Crown M47.jpg

Normally you can test the generators by wiring it as a electric motor. Short the field wire to ground and apply batter voltage to the armature terminal and the motor should take off. That will also polarize the generator. Basically all you need is a regulator with the proper amp output of the generator. Another way to polarize the generator is to turn the ignition switch on and just jump the batttery and armature terminals on the regulator with a small wire and the generator should be polarized.

Back