Logo

Can I use velvet drive 72c with a Chrysler 318?

lui

Hi guys. The original box was a 71c. I can't find much information on this. I was able to score a pair of good transmissions which were advertised as 71cs but got them home and had a look and turns out they are 72s. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

its usually easier (and less ambiguous) to refer to the model numbers to ID the gears in question.

The 72's will bolt up to the same bell housing as a 71....the dampers are usually different but only in spring tension I believe...if the original ones have any time on them it'd be good to change them too.

The catch is that the 72's are a bit longer....so "will it fit" depends upon how close the stuffing box is.....best to measure it. and remember you need some 'extra space' to split the couplings....

Thanks for the info Makomark. So it is less confusing to refer to them as 1017 and 1018 velvet drives? I am replacing engines too so I can slide them up to accommodate that little extra length. The 1018 will work with my 318s then even though they are designed for higher horsepower? The documentation is confusing. The flange is 5" on the 1018 where the 1017's are 4" so I will have to find a coupler to connect the prop.

putting a higher rated gear in place of a lower rated gear will work fine - the other way usually doesn't....

AIf you move the engines forward, the bed may need to be raised (shimmed) as well - depends upon the hull.

getting a new coupler for your shaft isn't hard; its just $$$....

You may want to visit a good local gear shop - they can probably give you other pointers as well.

Back