Logo

Sea Wate/Fuel Pump Troubleshooting

ehlien

Regular Contributor
My fuel pump was toasted on my 454 IO and I installed a new one today but I noticed the cam wheel on the drive shaft of the water pump that actuates the fuel pump's lever just spins freely on the shaft. I'm thinking that's not right and it can't possibly actuate the pump. If so the water pump assembly is probably bad. Any feed back out there?

Thanks

Ok .. I just learned the pump is ok and normal from another source. The next problem then is I've been cranking for a while but not getting any fuel to the carb. Is there a trick to get the system primed and pumping fuel??

Thanks

Ayuh,... Problem is, it ain't coverin' bases, it causes confusion for those that post answers to questions,....

if the cam spins freely on the shaft then the pump won't deliver any fuel....a new shaft is close to $200 so you may want to look for the whole pump...

Actually I was advised the part that spins is a sleeve that covers the cam , sort of like a bearing. I filled the water seperator/fule filter with fuel and tried again and voila ..its pumping fuel now.

Always something ..well I got the fuel pump installed and its pumping fuel to the carb, a webber, but I'm not getting any fuel out of the carb into the engine.Suggestions?

Ayuh,.... Pull it, 'n rebuild it,....

It's a carbon copy of the Edlebrock carbs,...

I use Edlebrock parts, alot cheaper, 'n better selection than Merc,...

So I did the rebuild and remounted. It started right up but only ran about a minute then as I tried to throttle up just a bit got a backfire and now i can't get it started again. Cranks but I'm not getting any spark now. Frustrating!

I just put a new fuel pump on the engine and confirmed that it was pumping to the carb by undoing the fitting and gas under pressure squirts out so I believe fuel is getting to the carb but I do not see any fuel squirting into the carb throat when I pump the throttle cable. I tried squirting some fuel into the carb but nothing happened. So then I put a test light between the coil and distributor cap but saw no spark light.

Back