Logo

Mercruiser 140 1985 fuel pump problem?

JOEM2254

New here and hoping there is someone that can help. Picked up a 1985 Barteeta I/O Mercruiser 140. This boat was stored inside for 25 years, was purchased new in 1985 and used for 2 years and then stored. Was done properly for storage, water drained, new oils, etc. Put in a new battery, muffs for water, oil is like new, new gas, etc. Turned her over, started immediately. Ran for about a minute or less, chugged along a bit and died. Tried to start again, fired but did not run, just turns over and does not fire at all. Removed the fuel line into the fuel pump, no fuel in the line I can see or barely smell. Took out the pump filter, not even wet. I am assuming there is not a kill switch I can find anywhere, I also assume this is only a mechanical fuel pump without any type of electric pump. As the boat has been sitting for 25 years, I am thinking that the fuel pump is the main problem? The person I got the boat from, did unhook the fuel tank line and used a gas can to feed fuel into the fuel pump. The engine ran like new for the time there was gas fed into the pump. I think possibly the reason it started for me for a minute was that there was still some fuel remaining in the pump or fuel line to the carb? And wondering if it would be best to try to locate the fuel pump or install an electric pump in its' place? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe in St Charles IL.

1. Purchase new fuel pump (OEM same as is there now). Daiphram is probably dried out and possibly torn
2. do a complete tune up on ignition, New points, rotor, condenser, make sure you apply some grease to distributor shaft where points make contact for lubrication. and set timing to OEM spec ~ 6-8* BTDC
3. Replace water pump Impeller/assembly in outdrive!!!!!!!!
4. drain outdrive gear lube and have pressure checked for any seal leaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. new Gear oil in out drive
6. Change oil and filter

Good possibility Carb may need to be rebuilt only because it sat for so long. Fresh gaskets and needle and seat and accelerator pump!!

At the gas tank there is a aluminum barbed fitting. This is a anti siphon fitting. It has a spring and a ball inside to only open when vacuum is applied.

It could be stuck from sitting. Buy a new one and replace it!!!!!!!!!!

After all of this you may have a chance of a good running and dependable boat.

I recently went thru all of this on a 1986 18' checkmate with a 350 V8.................20 hrs of use and sat in a garage for most of its life. A 1986 Boat was literally brand new in 2015.

The person I got the boat from, did unhook the fuel tank line and used a gas can to feed fuel into the fuel pump.

Ayuh,.... You answered yer own question,....

The boat's tank is the Problem,....

Is the gas tank aluminum barbed fitting accessible without tearing up the flooring? Your response was great and much appreciated. Thanks, Joe.

No idea, every boat is different,....

Follow the fuel line, 'n decide what has to happen,....

Ok, I did find the gas tank fuel line and purchased a new anti siphon valve. Now the problem is that with this valve removed, I want to pump out the tank and clean it properly. I attached a picture of the remaining tank connections. I can not get these loose. There is absolutely nothing coming from these when I try to siphon with a hose hooked to the connection. There must be a screen or something. PROBLEM.. I can not get these off. I have been able to loosen the larger outside nut but the angled gas line hookup will not budge. Is there a certain way these unscrew? It is a plastic tank and I am afraid to crack the hole where these are attached.

I see by a search online that just about every boat owner trying to remove this same connection is also at a loss. Seems there would be a better way to get these things out. Steady brute force seems to be it and if you break it off, tear the whole boat apart and then it is trash.

Back