Logo

Cowling replacement for a 40MLHQ

edub

Hi, I have a 1992 Yamaha 40hp manual start that the previous owner had lost the cowling to. When buying the motor from him, I assumed that a replacement cowling wouldn't be hard to find. I was way wrong. After looking at ebay, an ever expanding radius of mechanics and boatyards, and an expanding list of online parts sites, I'm becoming resigned to the fact that I might have to modify a close match cowling to fit or fabricate one. I should say first that I can find the OEM part, but they're upwards of $700 and I'm way too cheap and value my time way too little to pay that kind of money. I'm thinking about either getting a hold of an electric start version of this cowling and modifying it to accept the manual start rope, or fabricating one from sheet metal or fiberglass. So I have a couple of questions were I to go down one of those paths. The first and most obvious of those questions is, does anyone have this cowling that they wanted to sell to me? After that, has anyone had to modify an existing cowling to do what I'm trying to do? Can anyone recommend a cowling that is a close enough fit to this motor that very little mod is necessary? And finally, if I formed it out of fiberglass and epoxy, would it get too hot? Thanks in advance,
-Ethan

Last edited:
Back