Logo

2006 digital speedo

max415

Hi everyone, I have found this forum very helpful over the years with my 2006 BF225. I fish offshore often and have become dependent on the speedo gauge with the fuel management that lets me know my usage. I now have 970 hrs on this motor and my last trip, after zeroing my usage the gauge stayed at 0. I used 2/nm for estimate and was safe but really would like to get this feature back working. After looking, I can't find any flow sensor in the fuel lines on the motor. People say the gauge gets its signal from the ECU. Where should I look to trouble shoot, or is it possible that the gauge went south?
Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are your other functions working on that meter? Did you try a reset using the "set" button on the bottom left? If so, then get in behind the gauge and check the green wire (fuel pulse), disconnect the bullet connector, and clean the contacts thoroughly. Reconnect. Check the other bullet connectors, too. Then test again.

Thank you for the reply. The other functions are working normal, the fuel manage isn't. There must be some sensor on the motor that measures fuel flow. I will do as suggested and check and clean connections .

I'm not exactly sure how the darned thing works, but I have never found a fuel flow sensor anywhere on the engine and none is listed in the shop manual. I suspect that the ECU is calculating fuel flow based on the fuel metered to the injectors (i.e. the injector pulse width), which in turn is driven by the engine rpm's and absolute manifold pressure from the MAP sensor.

I do know that on my engine it is very accurate - usually within +/- 3 gallons for a 100 gallon fill up.

Back