Logo

Mariner 15ce need info

Jonboy77

I need to know all I can this motor was given to me the serial tag shows it's a 15ce serial # 684cs-250123 I don't know what year or I can't find anything on this engine trying to fix for my 3 sons any help would be greatly appreciated

That is a 1978 model Mariner.

It was built by Yamaha with 100% Yamaha parts, sold to Merc and marketed as a part of their Mariner line.

The serial breaks down as follows:

684 - Yamaha designation that tells you this is "mechanically" a 1978 Model 15B Yamaha

C - don't know - the only "C" listed in what I have for model breakdown refers to a "remote" model but the letter seems to be in the wrong position in the serial string - but could mean it was sold as a remote control model (without tiller) - but that's a guess on my part

S - short shaft (15" transom model)

250123 - the actual serial number (this model started with a serial of 250101 so yours was the 22nd off the production line)

**since the serial number starts with 250 that indicates this was an electric start model from factory**

Merc called this a Mariner Model "15C" (as you indicated), the "E" indicates electric start (15CE).

Here is a link to the parts page for your model (on this website): http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mariner-outboard-parts/15c/e684250101-and-up

Parts are still somewhat available if the motor is running. Carb kits and water pump kits are still around, which will keep it running save a major mechanical issue (an ignition coil is over 200 bucks and an OEM switchbox goes for $375- either would personally be grounds for me to scrap the motor if that failed)...

Back