Logo

I just bought my first boat and need help!!! 1984 Mercury 60hp 2 stroke

Bbowen217

This is my first time posting and I really could use some help.

I've got a 1984 mercury 60hp outboard. I just replaced the impeller because it was not pissing out of the tell tale. When I got everything put back together it started pissing water for about 10 seconds then stopped. I took the LU off again and took the water pump apart. I noticed pieces of my old impeller in the water pump and also in the water intake vents on the sides of the engine. I removed the impeller pieces and ran a water hose through the water intake pipe. The stream of water ran strong through the engine and shot 4 or 5 feet out of the pisser. When I put the LU back on, I still had nothing out of the pisser. Water does flow from exhaust holes and around the propeller. Any ideas as to why there would be no water coming out of the pisser?

There's some leftover rubber "skid marks" in the housing from the old impeller and i just realized I'm missing the little rubber seal that goes around the water inlet tube. Would that seal missing cause the water not to travel to the block and out of the pisser? Is there any way to clean the skid marks out of the housing?

Yes the seal missing will cause problems. To clean the rubber marks out I use comet as long as it is a stainless housing.

Well I got everything put together and when I put the LU back on the boat was stuck in forward gear (which is the gear it was in when I took the LU off the first time. I took the LU off again and put both the boat and the LU in neutral. When I put it back together, the boat wouldn't shift out of neutral. Any thoughts?

I have reassembled my lower unit and missed the water tube connection altogether. Just a thought. Just read your last post. Put the shift shaft in Neutral and the shifter on the controls in neutral. Don't take the reverse lock cam off the shift shaft. Very important where it sits.

Last edited:
Back