Logo

115 Merc 1991 will cut out at idle

wratislaw

Just bought old boat and motor 1991, Test run was fine got home and changed fuel water separator will cut out at the idle RPM of 850 to 900.

checked carbs (cleaned), rebuilt fuel pump, when I changed the fuel level sensor in the tank I pumped out lower gas and debris( not much water or debris)

still doesnt like to idle will start but cuts out after a big cough. Any suggestions of the next step????

Is this a 4 cylinder? If it is make sure the carbs are on correctly the top 2 are different than the bottom 2. Do you have the manual to do the link and sync on them? That motor is unique because it idles on the top 2 cylinders and the bottom 2 do not start working until 1800 rpm. You could also try to adjust the mix screws on the top carbs out a little more. That is a motor that the factory manual is a must have.

Last edited:
Is this a 4 cylinder? If it is make sure the carbs are on correctly the top 2 are different than the bottom 2. Do you have the manual to do the link and sync on them? That motor is unique because it idles on the top 2 cylinders and the bottom 2 do not start working until 1800 rpm. You could also try to adjust the mix screws on the top carbs out a little more. That is a motor that the factory manual is a must have.

Yes a four I just cot the seloc manual today but all carbs in original position I will make the mix a little richer to see if that helps Thanks

Take the serial # to a dealer and they can get the correct manual.

Thanks flyingscott I ordered the real manual but the adjustments I made plus more fuel line replacements and removal of a hidden in line water seperator really did the trick its now running smooth and not cutting out at all! Thanks for your advice.

Back