Logo

2 Stroke 4 cyl Mercury

PK239

Hello all, I recently bought a Merc 40 to put on my little Scout 141. I have looked everywhere for an ID plate, all I can find is a number on the upper cyl head: 1017-8359. Its a good running freshwater motor, would like to establish year of mfr to order parts for yearly maintenance (impeller, etc). Also, this motor is missing an airbox/silencer for the carbs, would like to find one. The PO removed the oil injection and premixed at 50:1, sound ok? I spray my motors with corrosion inhibitor, any suggestions on how to protect the wiring under the panel where the coils are? Can I spray 656 on that too? According to the Seloc manual that came with motor they made the 4 cylinder from 1990-97, 43 cu in. Anything I should watch out for on this type of engine, its very unique being a 4 cylinder. Thanks very much for any info, Im very grateful for all the knowledge on this forum!
PS.. will post a few pics

Last edited:
Not unique at all-----They started making 4 cylinder motors in the early 1950's----Have a 1954 ---Mark 50 ---myself and a number of the white 4 cylinder motors from the early 1960's----Lots of those stilll running very well.

Last edited:
Hello all,

new member to the forum here. I also just got a new-to-me '95 4-cylinder 2-stroke Mercury. I too would love to hear about the potential trouble spots with this motor? It runs well right now, but I'd like to do as much as possible to keep it running well. Ive done fuel pump diaphragms, impeller, LU oil so far.

Mine has oil injection pump still in place, how reliable is this? I've seen some threads that it's a potential trouble spot, but most threads about this seem to refer to the bigger motors, how does it do in the smaller hp motors?

thanks in advance for the help!

Back