Logo

What is this outlet on my dash for?

outobie

Regular Contributor
hello

there is an outlet on the dash of my 1987 tiara 27 foot cruiser that I can't seem to identify.

can someone tell me what it is, what should plug into it and where I can find what ever it is.

it has a screw on cover attached by a chain.
tje outlet has two electrical contacts at the base and channels on two sides that look like it accepts bayonet style lightbulbs

my best guess is that it's to connect a handheld spotlight but I've not been able to find any fittings that would plug into it.

id live to find a plug that I can add to my spotlight in place of the cigaret lighter plug that's in it now

any help is appreciated

Last edited:
take a look on the underside of the dash and see if there are any markings on the socket....also see if it goes to a 12VDC supply....

it's probably easier to change the outlet (socket) to match whatever you want to plug into it....

If they are still available, you could ask the previous owner what it was installed for.

Do you have a fuse block with a extra slot? Is you spot light going to be permanent? If so hard wire it with a fuse on the hot side and put your switch on the dash? Always use tinned marine grade wire when adding accys. Fuse everything.

Thanks for the replies
i didn't expect it to be this difficult to identify

im the third owner. the last owner had the boat for 18 years but didn't know what several switches were for including this one.

i have a handheld spotlight that is on the boat for emergencies. It's not something I want permanently attached to the helm

if I can't figure it out I'll likely replace with a cigarette lighter chart light or a usb

i don't really need anything there but don't like having nonfunction items on the helm

It is most likely an old version of what we know today as a 12 volt Power Port.

Back in the older days, these were the equivalent of a Cigarette lighter port..... in fact, that is what they were.
Today's Power Port will not accept a Cigarette lighter.

Why not remove it and replace it with an actual Power Port?
You can use a PP for cell phone charging, spot light, etc.

I know I can replace it...I kinda like keeping it vintage if possible. I've tested the circuit and it's got good voltage.

I'd love to get my hands on the matching male plug...I think it would be a neat thing to have.

maybe I'll try some boat recycle shops to see if they have somethign that will work.

any thoughts? what is it actually called? is there a specific name I could search for?

I know I can replace it... I kinda like keeping it vintage if possible. I've tested the circuit and it's got good voltage.

I'd love to get my hands on the matching male plug... I think it would be a neat thing to have.
maybe I'll try some boat recycle shops to see if they have somethign that will work.

any thoughts? what is it actually called? is there a specific name I could search for?

Like I said...... it is basically a cigarette lighter socket. Most any male counter-part will plug into it.

The difference between a cigarette lighter socket and a power port is the center contact.
The cigarette lighter port contact holds the lighter element in place until it reaches temperature.
The power port contact is a single center point...... it will not hold onto the lighter element.

To the best of my knowledge, most any male plug for a spot-light, cell phone charger, map light apparatus, etc, will fit into either style port.

Back