Logo

aq 100 leg cone clutch or spun prop question

waynard

hi, I'm running an AQ140 with the original manual leg and experiencing either slipping cone clutch or spun prop problems under torque. The prop wouldn't be hard to figure out or repair, but does anyone know about the clutch? Is that a job for a backyard mechanic? are there any resources to guide a feller through that process?

The old 100 will be difficult to find parts for...... it incorporates a rather unique drive system just FWD of the bearing box..... etc, etc, etc.
Honestly, I would replace that drive with at least a 270 or later AQ series drive.
Most anything for the OHC AQ140 4 cylinder engine is very inexpensive. The engine will mate up to the later system.

I'd cut your losses now and do the above.

thanks for the advice. Didn't realize that I could do that. I have other used drives here, but not sure that they will mate up with my thru hull mount. Will they?

In answer to that question..... the old 100 transom shield is smaller than the 250, 270, 280 etc.
This means that you will open up the hull's structural transom to accommodate the later transom shield.
This is nothing more than carpentry work with a bit of mechanical work mixed in!

one more question. Will any of the other legs mate up to that engine? if so, which leg would you recommend? tnx

OK..... you need to know that Volvo Penta has been extremely forward thinking re; the AQ series stern drives.
Any of the OHC 4 cylinder engines can be interchanged.
This means that the Flywheel Covers (bell housing in the Auto world) all interchange.
NOTE: early years were a course spline PDS...... later years went to a fine spline PDS.

From the 250 through the std AQ series, the Flywheel Covers will mate to all transom shields.
If your engine is an AQ140, the correct Flywheel Cover will mate to the later transom shield.
All 4 cylinder engine single propeller stern drives are of the 2.15:1 over-all gear reduction.

If you want to stay with the older Non-Power trim drive, my recommendation would be a 4 cylinder ratio 280.

it turns out that I had a spun prop. You gotta get lucky once in a while! tnx for your help, I think I can get another fishing season or so out of this old rig.

Back