Logo

40HP Mariner

jeff24x

Please help me figure out what year this is. Also what is the best way to look up parts for these motors?

Thanks.

Tag reads:

Mariner 40E
6e9 L 403260

That is a Mariner that was built by Yamaha for Mercury and sold under Merc's Mariner line.

It's mechanically a Yamaha.

Some of it you have probably figured out.

40 - horsepower
E - electric start (at least it was from factory)

6E9 - Yamaha designation indicating that "mechanically" it's a Yamaha model 40F which was in production between 1981 and 1983 - they continued to build the discontinued model as a Mariner for a number of years after they changed their own model.

(Mercury listed this as a model "40C" Mariner in their parts listings)

L - long shaft (20" transom)

403260 - the actual serial number - built in 1982

To find parts, just click on this websites parts listings: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mariner-outboard-parts/40c-twin-carb/6e9400231-thru-6e9423162---el

Some parts are no longer available, others may be difficult to find. If the motor is running then you can usually find maintenance items to keep it working properly....

I am having the same problem. Mine is 40 ELO 6E9 L 450772. Every place I try this number the reply is this number can not be found. I'm about to purchase the full boat anchor adapter kit for this s motor.

I need help IDing my Mariner 40 hp motor.
No data plate, but numbers cast and stamped are as follow:
Stamped On twin carbs: Upper carb: 6E901 cg27
Lower carb: 6E901 cg28

Cast in block in several places: 6E900

Cast in cyliner head area: 67604

Thanks for any advice....

Don

Don,

without the entire model/serial number can't give you an exact year.

The "6E9" Yamaha built Mariners were first marketed in 1981 by Mercury as the "C" model 40 horse Mariner. They stayed in production until 1992 when the line was discontinued.

Regardless of the year of production they were "mechanically" a 1981 to 1983 Yamaha model 40F. While this Mariner model started parallel production with Yamaha's own branded model, when Yami discontinued it two years later, Merc continued to market the model, without technical improvement for nine more years.

It was available as a standard rope start or electric start from factory(with rope back-up), short or long shaft, and optional power trim - again, all from factory.

All the models were mechanically identical save any add on's (the rope start wouldn't have a starter etc) and all the 40 C's had twin carbs.

The model was also sold with "oil injection" as an option but this was an Autoblend system which was not integral to the motor or even the model itself. It was a (mixing system) that went inline between the gas tank and the motor. It was available on some Yamaha built Mariner Models and some of the Force line marketed by Mercury. The 40 Mariner "model" was called the 40 C ELO.

Back