Logo

Chris Craft Cavalier with V8 Big Block to identify

meltingpot87

Dear all,

I own a Chris Craft with a Chrysler V8 big block and I would like to find some doc about it but first I have to identify it so I need your help!

Thanks in advance!!

IMG_0045aa.jpgIMG_0200aa.jpgIMG_0204aa.jpgIMG_0210aa.jpgIMG_0211aa.jpgIMG_0213aa.jpg

Last edited:
The 440 ID stamp block is to the right of distributor, under the plug wires and alternator wires in your picture. That stamp block is on the RB (raised block) engines. 413, 426 (except hemi for this engine), and 440 are RB engines. Although the 426 hemi is a raised block there is much difference between the wedge and hemi head engine.

Halfway down the page for a 440 manual...
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/manuals.asp

Last edited:
Since the filter is installed on the pump the fittings are most likely for an oil cooler. If the cooler was full flow then capping off the fittings could cut off oil pressure to the motor. I would suggest running a cooler, a high pressure hose between the fittings or (if not using a cooler) get another oil pump.

Thanks, I'll have a closer look to that ! In the mean time I also found that it's definitely for an oil cooler and that I can even put 2 in series..

Back