Logo

5.7L Ignition electronic module p/n needed

stastny

I have a 5.7l cruader engine (s/n 690125) and the electronic ignition module died. A machanic put a sierra pn 18-5488 in and the engine only accelerated to about 3000 rpm and then died. Not the module does not work at all. Sierra said that was the wrong part, but did not know what part it should be. Can anyone help?? Thanks, sid

did the sierra part match the original module??? I think the person at Sierra reacted to what was told to them and I'd bet it was the 'bad news' that exceeded their threshold....

If so, did the mechanic adjust the gap to the proper spacing??? did he check the ballast resistor? if either one of these isn't correct, the engine wont perform well.....a shorted (or missing) ballast resistor will destroy the module in short order.....

from what I can see the original part should be a mallory 609 module. The sierra part kind of looks like it but the pic provided by the marketing dept leaves a lot to be desired....the online pic for the mallory part will give you a better idea so you can match it to the original. you can buy the mallory part for about half of what the sierra parts go for - give or take....

The malory609 x ref to the SierraI have in and it is not right for 5.7L per sierra. Any one know where can talk to someone who /knows Crusader? Also can anyone find source for Crusader p p/n s I found?

Last edited:
This has more to do with Mallory than it does with Crusader.
Post the Mallory Distributor model number for us so that we can determine if it is a YLU or YLM unit.

The YLU is photo eye and will require a photo sensor, whereas the YLM is a VR (variable reluctor) and will require the magnetic pick-up unit.

NOTES:
If YLM, the gap between the reluctor points and the magnetic pick-up is to be adjusted by using a Non-Metallic gauge ONLY.
If the mechanic used a carbon steel gauge, he may have caused damage to the sensor.

Also, if the vertical shaft is worn and allows itself to wobble, the dwell angle may vary, causing erratic engine operation.

Last edited:
The mallory is a 609 module. I was told it cross-referenced to the sierra 18-5488 which i just put in and it will not accelerated over 2400 rpm without shutting down. The crusader p/n i was given is rt-116022

I just found this via MarineEngineParts.com

Sierra Marine 18-5488 Module
Availability: In-Stock Item Usually Ships the Same Day
Item #:18-5488
Partman has 6 ready to ship TODAY
Regular Price: $206.00
Our Price: $164.19

Sierra 18-5488 Ignition Module Replacement for all Mallory YLM Series Magnetic Breakerless Ignition Distributors. Replaces Mallory 9-29801.

The YLM (M = Magnetic) is the VR unit (variable reluctor).
This is most likely a YLM-624-AV (AV = Std LH rotation engine)

Here's an image of what they are calling the module.

Attachments

• Sierra Marine 18-5488 VR Module.jpg
    Sierra Marine 18-5488 VR Module.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 23
Back