Logo

Purchased Nissan NS8B 8 hp two-stroke. Couple Questions, thanks!

SW_Boater

Just purchased a used Nissan NS8B 8hp two-stroke. Base on the cowling I'm guessing it's an early 2000 model. Going to call Tohatsu to confirm. Runs great with low hours (prop and lower end shows very little wear). Freshwater use only so very little corrosion.

Couple questions:

1. We need to lay it down for transport in our 5th wheel trailer. I thought I saw somewhere where it suggested laying it down with the front of the engine (pull start) pointing up/prop facing down/tiller up. Is that correct? If not, which way.

2. What would it take to boost output to 9.9 hp? Carb change?

3. Any special issues or concerns with this particular motor?

4. It's very difficult to find ethanol-free gas in AZ. Any problem using ethanol gas (10%) with this motor?

Thank you!

1. Any orientation is fine. Keep in mind that you want the carb empty before laying it down.
2. Nope. Depending on precise serial, maybe 9.8 with a carb change.
3. Nope. Good motors; valued for their light weight and durability.
4. E10 is OK; Must be Fresh (under 30 days). Run the carb out every day to reduce varnishing.

1. Any orientation is fine. Keep in mind that you want the carb empty before laying it down.
2. Nope. Depending on precise serial, maybe 9.8 with a carb change.
3. Nope. Good motors; valued for their light weight and durability.
4. E10 is OK; Must be Fresh (under 30 days). Run the carb out every day to reduce varnishing.
pvanv, thanks for the helpful replies. Good to hear this is a good motor! Was going to pull the trigger on a new Tohatsu 9.9 HP 4-stroke. Saw this for sale and took a chance. A lot lighter than the new Tohatsu 8/9.9 HP motors. Going to be using this with our inflatable that we carry in our RV. Weight and ease of storage were important.

Tohatsu 9.9 4-strokes have not been available for years; replaced by the industry's-lightest-weight 4-stroke 9.8.

Back