Logo

Request for Help: Photos of engine cooler configuration - 1988 US Marine 454

Rob8888

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I'm working on the reassembly of a 1988 Bayliner 3415 (3450?) Avanti with US Marine T3330Z (GM big block 454 cu in, 330 hp engines with Borg Warner V drives). The engines were removed for repair/rebuild by the owner over a year ago and the configuration of the oil coolers, gear coolers, cooler mounts and hoses, etc were lost. Most of the preformed raw water hoses to the coolers were thrown out, so it is hard to figure out how the various coolers were configured and connected. There may be some brackets and other parts missing too. I'm looking for photos of a similar motor showing the position and configuration of the oil cooler, gear cooler, remote oil cooler, and heat exchanger. Basically photos of the four sides and the top of the engine should show nearly everything I need to know. It's very difficult to find a parts manual or service manual of that engine (I've contacted Bayliner and several old Bayliner/US Marine dealers), but if somebody has one and can take photos of the pertinent pages that would be very helpful too. Thanks very much for your help.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Report This[FONT=&quot] Quick Reply Action
[/FONT]

Never seen the specific engine you identified but i expect it will follow the 'mercruiser' layout....rear mount heat exchanger and low mount oil coolers (engine on one side and gear cooler on the other). The biggest benefit to using this is an availability of parts.....and data. The only 'concern' would be mating up at the raw water pump.... and that shouldn't be too difficult.

The 454 is pretty standard in the marine world....so most everything will 'interchange' between various marine part sources.....as an example, you can find the parts breakdown in the links at the top of this www site....(it may show up as a 7.4l vs a 454) which ever one you chose, just stick with it....you will find most things stay the same from year to year - at least in the cooling system.

finally, the plumbing on top is also pretty standard thru out the industry....some may use 1.25" ID hose where others use 1.0" ID hose....none is really critical for a standard production engine (a mark IV block rated at 330 hp from the late 1980's). I'd suggest figuring what you have and what you need and then, if needed, make the hose size choice based on max reuse of what you have. also, many OEMs have owners manuals online and they can be a good source of basic diagrams for water flow, etc....I can email you a crusader manual from that era - just send your email address via a private message....

Thanks very much for your reply. I have a Crusader and Mercruiser service and parts manual... thanks for offering to send me one. I've worked on lots of big-block GM motors and don't have a problem just running raw water hoses to the gear and oil coolers, and then the oil hoses to the gear and remote oil filter housing, but I'm trying to get the engine back to the original configuration, which I assume would be the best way to run the hoses so everything fits properly and the engine looks right, as well as being easiest to work on, especially since the engine is fitted with a V drive and so it's facing backwards. If I don't follow the original layout for the cooler brackets so I can use the ones I've got I'll have to make new ones to fit the holes in the block and other bolts and brackets at the location I try to mount them. It sounds easy, but it's not... there are a lot of ways they could have done it, and a lot of holes and bolts that could hold the cooler brackets. It would be faster to just install the original brackets in the original position (also I'm kind of curious just to see exactly how they plumbed the raw-water system when they built the boat). Today I did figure out where the gear cooler bracket fits on the block and bell housing under the exhaust manifold on the right side, the owner had already bolted things there which aren't in the right place and will have to be moved to get the bracket to fit. I have one original pre-formed hose which connects the gear cooler to the heat exchanger, but I'm not sure how the gear cooler connects to the other side of the block to get to the engine oil cooler, and then to the raw-water pump. A few photos would probably tell me everything else I need to know regarding the location of the engine oil cooler and remote oil filter housing, in case anyone has the same engine and boat.

I'm working on the reassembly of a 1988 Bayliner 3415 (3450?) Avanti with US Marine T3330Z (GM big block 454 cu in, 330 hp engines with Borg Warner V drives). The engines were removed for repair/rebuild by the owner over a year ago and the configuration of the oil coolers, gear coolers, cooler mounts and hoses, etc were lost. Most of the preformed raw water hoses to the coolers were thrown out, so it is hard to figure out how the various coolers were configured and connected. There may be some brackets and other parts missing too. I'm looking for photos of a similar motor showing the position and configuration of the oil cooler, gear cooler, remote oil cooler, and heat exchanger. Basically photos of the four sides and the top of the engine should show nearly everything I need to know. It's very difficult to find a parts manual or service manual of that engine (I've contacted Bayliner and several old Bayliner/US Marine dealers), but if somebody has one and can take photos of the pertinent pages that would be very helpful too. Thanks very much for your help.

Report This Quick Reply

Action I just bought the same exact boat with this engine configuration. One of the engines has been removed and will be reinstalled shortly. I will only be able to take photos for you some time in October or November. If this is still helpful to you, please let me know and include your email address and I can send them to you.

Back