Logo

290 DP Oil Leak

robeward

Can someone please help identify the potential sources for this outdrive leak so I can begin researching what it is going to take to stop it? Tough to see because it is brand new oil but i have a slow leak from behind the inner prop. Thanks.
oil leak.jpg

It looks like the bearing housing has been removed lately. There are two O-rings that should be replaced whenever you pull a gearbox apart you should always replace all O-rings. Pull the props and see if it is coming from the seal area or where the bearing housing meets the gearbox?

It looks like the bearing housing has been removed lately. There are two O-rings that should be replaced whenever you pull a gearbox apart you should always replace all O-rings. Pull the props and see if it is coming from the seal area or where the bearing housing meets the gearbox?

it hasn't been lately. last owner did when he overhauled the unit. i saw the o-rings on the diagram. i can remove the props and take a look. it leaks from gravity alone if that helps any.

I think, and I am no expert, that if the prop seal needs replacing, you really need to be mindful of the shims. I don't know if replacing the seal requires re-shimming, but I know there are some folks here that will be able to tell you

If it is just the O-rings I believe you can just pull the bearing housing and outer shaft out all together and just replace the o-rings. If your replacing the seals just be careful you dont lose or damage the shims when you pull the outer shaft out of the bearing housing. You only need to go through the shimming procedure when changing the gears.

Can someone please help identify the potential sources for this out drive leak so I can begin researching what it is going to take to stop it? Tough to see because it is brand new oil but i have a slow leak from behind the inner prop.
Actually, that would be in front of the FWD propeller.

View attachment 15962

yes i have the duo prop. thanks for the diagram. is the prop shaft seal number 37?
The numbers shown are SEQ #s. They reference the actual OEM part number that is shown in the column to the right of the exploded view page.
But yes...... SEQ #37 shows the Bearing Carrier seals (FWD prop shaft seals), and SEQ #40 shows the inner shaft seals (AFT prop shaft seals).
Please note that these seals are directional.

i assume the whole shaft has to be removed to replace this seal?
Only the prop shaft bearing carrier and the FWD propeller shaft/gear will be removed for this replacement.

I agree with Kim.
Furthermore, drain the gear oil (capture it..... it can be re-used if clean) and perform a pressure/vacuum test.

As for removing the prop shaft bearing carrier, you may need to build yourself a puller tool that Volvo Penta has not offered.
As necessity demanded, I designed and built one years ago.
(see image below)

I think, and I am no expert, that if the prop seal needs replacing, you really need to be mindful of the shims.
I don't know if replacing the seal requires re-shimming, but I know there are some folks here that will be able to tell you.
This is an AQ series Duo Prop. Many people default to thinking 290 when in fact it may be a later unit.
The
OP says that it is a 290 (a full picture would let me know which model it is).

None-the-less, the prop shaft bearing carrier and the FWD prop shaft can be removed (for seal replacement) without even seeing a shim.
Dealers and Shops do not want you to know this! :mad:

The FWD prop shaft seals are within the bearing carrier.
The AFT prop shaft seals are within the FWD prop shaft.

Please note that the dip stick and drain plug O-rings must be replaced also!

Attachments

• Prop shaft carrier puller tool 1.jpg
    Prop shaft carrier puller tool 1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Prop shaft carrier puller tool in use .jpg
    Prop shaft carrier puller tool in use .jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,035
Last edited:
Ok Rick, do these pictures help identify exactly what I have? I want to get it right.

Seems like it is confirmed I will at least be replacing seq#31 and seq#37?
Should I also plan to do seq#40 while I am in there?

I have the workshop manual downloaded and an aftermarket manual so i should be able to get fairly close on procedure. At a high level will it go something like this:
1. remove props
2. use puller to remove bearing carrier (seq#3)
3. forward prop shaft either comes with it or simply pulls out after carrier removed?
4. carefully replace seals using quicksilver perfect seal around seals
5. reinstall forward prop shaft taking care not to damage aft shaft seals
6. carefully reinstall carrier taking care not to damage fwd shaft seals
7. use hex bolts to seat carrier?
8. pressure test and fill with oil

Attachments

• DSC04166 (Small).jpg
    DSC04166 (Small).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC04167 (Small).JPG
    DSC04167 (Small).JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC04168 (Small).jpg
    DSC04168 (Small).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 48
If it was me I would replace the seals and o-rings all at the same time. They are back to back seals be careful not to get any perfect seal on the rubber parts of the seals that ride on the shafts. Did you determine where the leak was ? Is the line cutter in good shape?

If it was me I would replace the seals and o-rings all at the same time. They are back to back seals be careful not to get any perfect seal on the rubber parts of the seals that ride on the shafts. Did you determine where the leak was ? Is the line cutter in good shape?

Line cutter is in good shape. I have not had a chance to get the props off yet. will report back in.

Special note:

In front of each propeller will be a small ring spacer.
Sometimes this spacer will be pressed into the line cutter..... sometimes not!
Some props are installed without the line cutters..... some are installed with the line cutters!
None-the-less, familiarize yourself with these spacer rings!

The spacer rings are absolutely necessary !!!!!
If the FWD propeller spacer ring is omitted, and if you operate the boat as such...... you will ruin the prop shaft bearing carrier!

the last one that I repaired cost the owner about $800 when done!

Back