Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Mercury Year Unknown -- Serial 7097753

I bought a second hand boat with a Mercury 500 50hp 4 cylinder engine. The serial number is 7097753.
    I think it is a 1985, but not sure. I'd like to learn more about this engine, but not sure of the medel year.
    Any help appreciated!!
    N&B

Ireland,the only country in the world you can go North to go South

Default Re: Mercury Year Unknown -- Serial 7097753

Can't really help with the year but here is the parts diagram for your engine http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...ru-7143687-can .The year is somewhere between '76 and '80.Closer to '76

Thanks - I looked on the chart for a 50hp two stroke 4 cyl... I'm not sure how you came up the year range. The engine is running great, and seems to have the power I would expect. Any other ideas on identifying the year would be helpful. I wonder if was made outside the US...
    I just looked at the link you sent -- thanks again. Given the amount of unavailable parts, I agree with the range of years you gave. I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Nuts&Bolts; 07-17-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Inverary, Ontario, Canada - The Great White North Eh!

That's a Canadian Serial Number EH!

The Canuck records (motor was built in Mississauga, Ontario - might still be visible on the sticker somewhere) are a little "spotty" but I make that to be (probably) a 1977.

Since all the on-line parts look-up's tend to be geared to US serials you can use 4576237 which would be (mechanically) the US equivalent.

Merc's were also made in Australia (serial starts with an 8) and Belgium (serial starts with a 9) as well as the "7"/Canadian Models...
    Graham

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)