Logo

Thermostatology

Mulletwagon

Regular Contributor
My year old, Crusader $50- thermostat (170 degree) failed full open on my 454 after just a year. Since I need to change it anyway I searched for a 160 degree unit only to find that there is none. The replacement unit for the in-line application located adjacent to the HE is R026007 and is only available at 170 degrees. Although 170s are not a problem, I prefer the additional margin of 160 degree units which are really more typical for FWC engines. I checked automotive versions and found some that were correct dimensionally and would probably work but were not the same configuration as the Crusader units. I did notice Mercruiser has a similar unit (863358T) set for 160 degrees. Appears to be similar to the Crusader unit but I have not been able to determine the dimensions. The Crusader unit measures 2.125 inch in diameter, 1.30 inch from the flange to the bypass plate, and has a bypass plate diameter of 1.00 inch. Just wondering if anybody knows if the Mercruiser unit (or Sierra 18-43017) is interchangeable with the standard Crusader unit size wise, or if there is another 160 degree solution. My fall back plan is to use the Crusader 170, but at $20, the Mercruiser option would be great if it fits.

Last edited:
Both Merc and Crusader buy their standard production engines from GM.....so there is lots of opportunity for interchange...

I'd say looking thru the aftermarket applications will give you a fair assessment of the 'interchange success' for any given part.

The 170 degree operating point is now quite common ('newer stuff') and I don't think there's a real good reason to deviate from the factory....ten degrees isn't any 'margin' at all....

Back