Logo

Shift Rod and Lower Unit

beeze455

Tried to do the water pump today and what a can of warms I got myself into. The Evinrude water pumps I have done went much better. I was thinking how easy this would be without that screw on the shift rod....well I want the screw back.

I felt like it was all lined up as much as I could. The shift rod connection point was not and bent or was bent before. I tried like crazy to get this all lined up, but no luck this rod is toast. In the process I am pretty sure the connection from the front of the motor to the shift rod got messed up also. I am ready to go to the dealer. Just wondering how much work and ask them to replace everthing from my control cables to the lower unit rod.

It might just be the rod. I ran my motor for a while with a re-straighten rod that had a buggered up spline fitting on the top. I did eventually replace it but it was just because I wanted to. The crappy one did the job like a champ. Going back up with the lower unit is by far the hardest part of the job. I'm a one man work shop and I use a make shift lower unit stand on my floor jack to raise the lower unit up. This allows me to guide the rod in carefully while raising the lower unit up. I have to lower the tongue of my trailer as low as it will go in order to get the clearance under the engine to do it this way. If you have help then it is really an easier job.

I just changed the water pump on my BF45 and noticed the instruction say to put the trans into reverse. Really did not have much trouble hooking the shift rod back up.

Went to the dealer and when I got there they informed me they do not work on salt water boats. uhg. I think i need to pull the power head and seperate everything. Seems like a lot to go through the shift linkage. These are the parts I want to check. Something is locked up. image.jpg

Back