Logo

Tohatsu 6hp runs better with engine cover off?

SteveTanzer22

My 2005 Tohatsu 6 hesitates and sputters a bit but as soon as you remove the cover the idle goes up and it accelerates normal? I have cleaned the carb thoroughly but my guess is its starving for air? Is there any kind of sensor on these?

Year of manufacture is irrelevant for servicing Tohatsu outboards; Model and Serial are what you need to have to describe the motor. Assuming your model is MFS6B. No, there isn't any O2 sensor of anything like that. Either the air inlet of the cowl is plugged, or the carb is way way too rich, or you have an exhaust leak.

Year of manufacture is irrelevant for servicing Tohatsu outboards; Model and Serial are what you need to have to describe the motor. Assuming your model is MFS6B. No, there isn't any O2 sensor of anything like that. Either the air inlet of the cowl is plugged, or the carb is way way too rich, or you have an exhaust leak.
xhuast hav ea wMFS6AS,

Where do you think would be the most likely culprit for a exhaust leak? I do see some build up of oil and crud at the exhaust port plate under the head. Also I can smell exhaust right under the carburetor.

Back