Logo

Drive Shaft Bearing-- What to do next?

Fuddyduddy

Regular Contributor
I just removed the base to my water pump on my 1977 Merc 500. Thus exposing the main bearing directly below that base. What my question is: What to do with it as far as greasing or lubing it before putting the pump back together. I did find some water drops on it when I removed the base of the pump. Many Thanks again for help.

?----It is lubricated by the oil in the lower unit.-------Have you checked that oil ?-----Any water in the lower unit gear oil ?------Water in the lower unit is a no,no.

Yes- there is water in the lower unit. That's why I took it apart. Was just wondering if it needed lubed before I put it all back together. ( with grease) or if the lower unint lube did all that was necessary. I put a new pump in in May and it was still a problem so this time I yanked it out and rebuilt my old oem pump. I will put it back together and give it a good test. I'll post an update. Thanks.

Well I kept testing until I gave up and took it in for a pressure test. The seal on the drive shaft was leaking again, the last I used it in October. I had missed the groove worn into the shaft from abuse and lack of maintenance. Now it will get a sleeve and a new seal and I will finally be able to give fishing another try without worrying about the motor. I won't have water open for a test till april but I can wait. Thanks to all for bearing with me.

Back