Logo

96 50 HP will not run over 4,000 rpm

hawgeye

I have a 96 Honda 50 HP that I bought used. It runs and starts great but dies and will not run over 4,000 rpm. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, new primer bulb and hose. That didn't fix it, I pulled the carbs. All the floats were fine. I cleaned them, made sure all ports were open. Needle and seats were fine, everything was clean. Any suggestions where I should look next? Ty

Newbie to theforum but I have a 99 Honda BF50HP and I'm having the same exact issue. Ihave replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, primer bulb/hose asm and fittings. Ihad the carbs redone and my boat will not go faster than 2knots. It runs at higher RPMs out of the water with muffs on however under load it does not. I cangive it throttle but when I get to about 3/4 of the way of throttle it bogs andwill stall out/die unless I drop the throttle back down then it will just gothe 2knots and remain running in the water I can go slower and it runs fan and it idles smooth and fine. Sure seems like fuel supply issuebut I'm scratching my head why and what to do next? It has new fuel and has newthrottle and shift cables the boat idles and shift good just can't get it toplane out and run on the top end. I have a 1999 26.5 macgreggor sail boat soit's a larger size boat with the original motor but it should go faster than2knots.

I'm going to open up the gas tank (portable) and examine the inside as well as the pickup tube and make sure there's no restrictions also going to do a compression test on the cylinders and test the fuel injectors as well hopefully over the weekend.

Any other ideas for myself and hawgeye would be greatly appreciated. Thanks inadvance!

Newbie to theforum but I have a 99 Honda BF50HP and I'm having the same exact issue. Ihave replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, primer bulb/hose asm and fittings. Ihad the carbs redone and my boat will not go faster than 2knots. It runs at higher RPMs out of the water with muffs on however under load it does not. I cangive it throttle but when I get to about 3/4 of the way of throttle it bogs andwill stall out/die unless I drop the throttle back down then it will just gothe 2knots and remain running in the water I can go slower and it runs fan and it idles smooth and fine. Sure seems like fuel supply issuebut I'm scratching my head why and what to do next? It has new fuel and has newthrottle and shift cables the boat idles and shift good just can't get it toplane out and run on the top end. I have a 1999 26.5 macgreggor sail boat soit's a larger size boat with the original motor but it should go faster than2knots.

I'm going to open up the gas tank (portable) and examine the inside as well as the pickup tube and make sure there's no restrictions also going to do a compression test on the cylinders and test the fuel injectors as well hopefully over the weekend.

Any other ideas for myself and hawgeye would be greatly appreciated. Thanks inadvance!

It ended up being the carbs. I had them professionally ran through and the used an ultrasonic cleaner. Runs awesome now!

Back