Logo

'72 & '73 Johnson & Evinrude - Are they interchangeable???

They are all 65 hp and look identical in all aspects, model #'s 65esl72 for the Johnson and 65273s for the Evinrude. A mechanic said they are the same but need to know for sure so I can purchase a repair manual that works for all three. Thanks for your help!!!

They look the same because they are both 72 models.------Only difference is paint colour / cosmetics / control box shift set-up is different with the Evinrude using buttons.-------And YES they are both 1972 models.----------The 73 on the Evinrude is not the model year designation !!

Last edited:
So basically you are saying the Evinrude really isn't a '73, it's a '72??? And if everything is in fact the same, is the lower ends compatible with each other as far as parts go. The reason I ask is someone said they are the same except for the lower ends!

Ok RACERONE, I appreciate your time and help very much!!!

I am a first time boat owner and my project consists of stripping all trim and refinishing a '62 Glasspar Avalon Runabout 16', I have three motors, all the same as I now know, that I am going to find the best parts of all to build one. I love this boat and enjoyed a full month getting familiar with it out on Flat Head Lake in MO. last summer. It ran great, but soon after launching it I realized there was no reverse, hence I had to take off and dock in forward from start to finish, of which I did. Got it back home and took it to a boat mechanic and was told it wasn't worth fixing do to cost, therefore that explains why I now have three, in hopes to create one great reliable motor. Is there hope and am I on the right track??? Again, thanks for any input!!! It says you are a God Level Contributor and at this moment that is about how I am feeling about you, so again, thanks!!!

No reverse on an EVINRUDE could be as simple as a wire fallen off the shift switch in the controls.----------Sad when shops and their owners quickly say----" that can not be repaired "----But they have bills to pay.

I forgot to mention that it also didn't go into neutral, only forward (default). Oh, and not that it matters but it's the Johnson that is doing this, supposedly the one Evinrude has no issues, bought it a few months back from a J/E dealer/repair shop for $750.00 and the other Evinrude I have no clue as to what it's problem is if any, just got it.

I have a 72 evinrude triumph that I am trying to get going now. Have it on a 18 ft. John boat and it has the electric push button gears and seems to be stuck in gear and I am nor sure why yet. I am gonna change water impeller and gaskets while I have foot off and hope some one can tell me how to unstick gears.tdreinhardt you get yours going yet? If anyone can help me with gears and advise on where to buy water pump kit I would appreciate it greatly , I do have it running now so at least that's a plus. I am new here too , joined today. "thanks for any help".

Last edited:
The only difference would be short or long shaft. Swivel bracket exhaust hpusing drive shaft shift shaft and water tube. Is the third motor the electric shift also? Use the powerhead with the best compression the rest is all gaskets and seals.

Kimcrwbr1 , I am new here and was wondering if you could tell me how to start a new post. I don't see anywhere to click on to start one .Thanks

you're already a member....go to the forum where you want to post and look under the title bar, to the left...should be a post new thread button...

click that,go to the text entry box and have at it.....I have found that using the "Switch Editor to WYSIWYG mode" button (has "A/slanted A") keept the input stream from getting corrupted after a few seconds....

Seeker-----Your motor has to be running in order to shift to neutral or reverse.-------When not running it will always be in forward.

Thank you makomark, that's what I thought too but was not sure if they monitored ya for a few days before letting you post.I will try what you said and see if that works , thanks again and I am not too savvy yet.lol

racerone, thanks and that is what I seen online about this engine and where I found this site to and then joined.So I went out and cranked it and tried shifting it but it does nothing and stay in gear.I have the foot off and took water pump and impeller off it was worn completely out. I also need the water pump kit too if you know where a good place to buy it is.You have any idea what may be causing it to stay in gear and not respond the wires look good?

You can test the shift with the lower unit off.----Step # 1-Make sure it is full of type C / premium blend oil.---Step 2 is put negative from battery to the casing.----Step 3 is 12 volts to the green wire.---Step 4 is to rotate driveshaft a couple of turns.---It should go to neutral after about 1 turn of the driveshaft.---Now hook 12 volts to blue and green and you should get reverse after about 2 turns of the driveshaft.------Turn driveshaft with visegrip pliers.

Thanks racerone, I will try this and I started a thread finally so I want keep taking this guys , so if ya will talk to me there and thanks again.

Back