Logo

1975 Evinrude 85hp

ERodriguez

Hello, I have a 1975 85hp evinrude m#855993-e, My issue with the boat is that it has no spark. I replaced stator cause it had a crack in it and melted residue also replaced coils they were also cracked, and power box was also replace with new spark plugs as well. I crank the engine and no spark any help I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your time and help!!!.

You've replaced the Stator, Coils, and I assume by "power box", you're speaking of the Powerpack being replaced. IN essence, you've replaced the ignition system... it should be okay.

DO NOT use the spark plugs to test the spark... that is a waste of time!

The spark test must be performed with "all" of the spark plugs removed to obtain the highest cranking speed available. The engine must turn over at least 300 rpms in order for the stator to provive the proper AC voltage to the powerpack's capacitor. A slow cranking engine will provide weak, erratic, or no ignition/spark.

The spark should jump a 7/16" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it? Note that the 7/16" gap is important.

Remove the black/yellow wire from the powerpack... do you have spark now?

On the power pack i did not see a black and yellow wire but i did cut black and yellow wire were the wiring harness begins at the engine

Standing in back of the engine, facing the powerpack, the black/yellow wire should be on terminal #1 which is the first terminal on the port side (left) on the bottom row.

I disconnected each wire one by one except the coils and still no spark and on the powerpack theres no black and yello il take some pictures and post them so you can see.
Thank you so much for helping me out

So I did what you told me I disconnected black and yellow wire also the shift switch got a better battery and still no spark also checked the grounds all tight checked wires made sure they were in the correct places any other ideas you might have to try?

You replaced the whole ignition system, except for the timer base. And the kill circuit is disconnected. So, the possible problem areas are very limited.
1. Defective timer base. Unlikely since you should still have spark on at least two cylinders
2. One of your new parts is defective
3. There is a wiring error.

Sorry, without on-site troubleshooting with proper equipment (DVA tester) it is kind of hard to diagnose from a distance.

I have some tools to work with like a volt meter also a power probe by any chance do you know the specs for the stator is not giving any power to the power pack i think thats were my issue is.

You need a DVA (peak reading voltmeter) to get any meaningful reading of the output. But you can check it for continuity and shorts to ground. Since it is new, there shouldn't be any problem.

All the flywheels have magnets.

On that model, the magnets are built into the flywheel, visible when it is removed.

Go to CDI website and download their free troubleshooting guide....I had a couple electrical gremlins that were eluding me and when I did their step by step analysis, I had my issues pinpointed in fifteen minutes...

NOTE: This post is approximately one year old... I'm sure the engine is (This Problem) either repaired or junked by now.

Back