Logo

1985 dt25 seems obscenely loud lots of exhaust out the tell tale

Speedindevil

Hello all, new to the forums, greetings, salutations, and a question. I just got this boat and motor last year in the fall, just put it in the water for the first time, it runs fine, idles a little crappy, but aside from that, it pushes my little 14' tracker like a rocket. But. It seems like it is awfully loud. I've never had an outboard this loud, it seems like there's a lot of exhaust coming out of the pisser for the water pump, but there's a heavy stream of water coming out too. There's a big black stain going down the shaft from the pisser, I know it's not normal for it to be as loud as it is. Should I be ordering an impeller and trying that first, or should I be pulling the powerhead and checking a base gasket or something along those lines? I know motors pretty well, but I'm not real familiar with the whole water cooled two stroke setup the outboards have going on. any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks
i should also add, that it doesn't do this when it is hooked up to the hose, I just fired it up to verify.

Last edited:
These are loudish engines, water is suppose to sputter out the middle back and pee out the tell tale, it could be that the motor is running a little lean as suzuki's are known for their lean sneeze when still cold. Do you have the 2 cyl or the 3 cyl?

Thanks for the reply! It is the 2 cyl. Yes it definitely has the lean sneeze as u called it lol. There's two ports on the back of the shaft, the one pisses water in a very healthy stream, the other one spits a little water occasionally and has a lot of exhaust coming out of it but only when the exhaust is restricted from being in the water. Nothing comes out of that hole when it's just hooked up to the hose, but as soon as I drop the boat in the water and fire it up, its loud as heck because the amount of exhaust that comes out of that second hole. It must have been doing it for a while because there is s black streak under that hole from carbon deposits. Can I just plug that hole? Or is there a gasket under that side cover that may have blown out and is allowing the exhaust to come out of that hole so much?

To me that is normal, nope do not plug the hole, it is normal for it to sputter (quite a bit actually) and blow exhaust out there, but I would suggest replacing the impeller, when you have dropped the lower unit make sure there is no debris ...in the lower unit or up the shaft.

Back