Logo

90F not getting power

Jrowell

90 HP Yamaha will not turn over (dead) - stopped while in idle when casting net. Motor was in down position - Learned to raise it by removing the trim motor red wire and touching it to Positive battery pole. Now motor is too high to troubleshoot. How do I lower the motor - do what with which wires. Thx.

This basic piece of information is located in your owners manual. If you don't have one they can be downloaded online for free.

PTT.jpg

This basic piece of information is located in your owners manual. If you don't have one they can be downloaded online for free.

View attachment 15901
I know this, but since it has never been turned it's frozen. Blaster didn't help. I'm seeking an electrical connection bypass to lower the unit (like I raised it). BTW, it was the Blue positive wire on tilt motor not a Red that to touched to positive battery pole that raised it.
Thanks for timely reply.

There is no electrical bypass. You've got 1 power wire, 1 ground. If either one is toast the PTT function is toast. I guess you could take 12v direct to PTT unit with ground, but then you're cutting wires that you not have to cut. There is an easier way....Frozen is a.k.a corroded. Take a pinpoint torch and heat the screw. Or if you really want to get nifty, heat cycle the screw by using automatic transmission fluid, or any other nonflammable lubricant. Squirt the lube on, torch the screw. Let cool. Unscrew. If it doesn't unscrew, keep repeating heat cycle until does. It's a small diameter screw so it will respond to heat quickly. Heat solves all corrosive lock-up issues.

Last edited:
Thank you - very herlpful. I thought about heating it but was concerned about a fire issue.
Best thing is the motor is UP and I can bring it somewhere rather than having someone come to me. $$$
I suspect the issue is beyond my intermediate expertise since I there's no obvious bad wires in sight.
Final question: Based on what I did to raise the motor, woiuld that point to a black or Red wire issue from battery to the motor?

Back