Logo

Rusty Stator& Flywheel

earlbuddy

Regular Contributor
I'm taking apart a '66 Johnson 80hp. Pulled the flywheel and found rust inside it and on the end of the windings. Is there a good way to clean remove the rust and continue using them? Thanks
Flywheel.jpgStator.jpg

I wet sand with 220 or 240 using WD40 as the agent. blow dry with fresh fuel or enamel reducer, clear coat with automotive epoxy after masking induction surfaces. Then I put them in stock, sometimes selling them on ebay. If my son doesn't get involved in this marine stuff, its all gonna go before I'm gone.

20170827_141009.jpg
It looks like there's some paint over-spray on the magnets. I just pulled this flywheel. Should I clean the areas where the arrows are pointing?
If so, how?
Thanks

Why is it so rusty? Maybe it sat outside. If you use it regularly and keep it dry, you should be okay. If some small water is leaking into the cowling area it should really be corrected.

Why is it so rusty? Maybe it sat outside.

...or it took a bath, and if the bath was in salt water, no matter how well it gets cleaned, the rust will unfortunately keep coming back.
I had fished a tohatsu kicker form the bottom at a marina where I used to work some 25 yeas ago, cleaned all the ignition parts real good and got it started, problem is after a couple of weeks (or a little longer I don't remember) I had to re-do the cleaning of the flywheel in order to start it as the rust kept coming back....

Hopefully yours is leaking from the cowling as Tim mentioned, and it's just moisture rust.

I have done motors with severe mouse nests, the damage can be unbelievable. Parts have to be cleaned and repainted with enamel. Clear coating that I use is an epoxy. Epoxy is poor to inhibit rust, the base metal has to be cleaned very well before epoxies can last. A good quality engine enamel is the best choice for inhibiting rust. Slow dry would be best, faster drying enamels have more acrylic and therefore less effective at rust inhibiting. The inducting surfaces can be lightly dusted with paint as well.

You bet. When rust and/or abrasion is present, the magnetism, therefore magnetic induction can be reduced. That will reduce the intensity of spark as well as the performance of the alternator, particularly at lower speeds.

Is metal suppose to stick the flywheel? I'm more familiar with flywheels off motorcycles and scooters with a strong magnetic pull. When I touch this flywheel with metal I feel no magnetic pull.

Hi Pradee, welcome. My infectious disease doctor came from India as a child. He found my Lymes disease and restored my life......an exceptional man.
Can this flywheel just be re magnetized? I have had a/c generators done at the electric motor shop here in Duluth.

I'm not sure if I'm asking my question correctly. In this picture the red arrows are pointing to rotors that are brazed to the inside of the flywheel. Are these magnetized? When I hold a utility knife blade against them I do not feel any magnetic pull. Can someone enlighten me on what to do. Thanks
attachment.php

Back