Logo

Johnson 35hp 1981. Put in new water pump. Can't line up the 2 pipes & shaft - trick?

Peter Johnson

I have struggled a few hours to get drive shaft engaged, water tube in and plastic shaft spacer connected and see to know they are all home when the foot is fully mated to exhaust tube. What is the trick? Can get copper tube started and drive shaft splines engaged But the plastic spacer tube is hidden before the last o-ring goes home in one end - tried either end - no luck. Please share the trick!!!!!

Have driveshaft splines engaged OK, also copper water tube into power-head ok. Driveshaft spacer (plastic) engaged in pump per instructions, but top of spacer ( with o-ring) will not locate and slide into it's receptacle inside of exhaust tube. How can you get this alignment? Can't see or touch the plastic spacer tube because the foot (gearbox) is within 1/2 inch of mating completely to exhaust tube. Please review my original post information.

Last edited:
That tube only goes in 1 way you need to align the flat spot on the collar. I believe the flat should face the front of the motor I could be wrong you may have to play with it.

Back