Logo

Sealant on Exhaust hose?

moresparks

Regular Contributor
Hi, I am just wondering.....
I have a small water leak in the bilges and it looks like it is coming from the rubber exhaust hose connecting the engine exhaust manifold to the SP-A outdrive exhaust pipe.
I have replaced the hose including the clips as well as smoothing out lumps and bumps on the exhaust manifold and outdrive pipe without success.
It is not a lot of water, just annoying and seems to occur at the higher rev range. I was wondering if anybody else has had similar problems and if a sealant on the rubber exhaust hose would be o.k.

Should not need sealant... are you tightening the band clamps enough?... are you clamped in the proper spots on the hose? For safety sake should be double clamped at each end of hose. Recommended clamps have a bolt to tighten, not a worm screw on a band clamp with notches in it.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is not leaking from the water tube coming from the oil cooler? I bought extra of those rubber washers so i could just replace them when apart. It is hard to get them to re-seal after taken apart.

Hi, Just a quick update.
I have looked at pictures of similar exhaust hose on AQ engines around the same age and it looks like they are double clipped. Mine have never been double clipped so thats the next step. I have repositioned the band clamps and double clipped the top section that has reduced the water leak. However I still need to double clip the bottom section of the hose. There is not much room and I am concerned that the worm drive part of the clamp may damage the rubber hose, so I am looking for a narrow band clamp.

Back