Logo

Crusader 6.0 fails intermittently ay low RPM - has anyone seen this problem.

gl.gray

My 2008 6.0 started to fail last fall. I was running at about 1200 rpm and stopped to idle speed and the RPM went to 500, 300, 200 and died, after about 30-40 minutes the engine ran normally again. Cleaned and replaced all of the fuel filters and it ran normally for the next two months.
This spring it ran normally, and a few weeks ago I was running it for about 30 minutes at about 3800 and come to idle to dock the boat and the same thing occurred. After 40 minutes it started and ran at cruise normally, slowed to dock and it cut out again. replaced the fuel pump and still have the same problem.

I'd suggest hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and running the boat until the problem recurs.....you need to isolate the issue between FUEL and IGNITION......another option would be to take a timing light out on the next excursion.....my guess is you are losing one or the other.....with the odds to fuel.

I'd suggest hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and running the boat until the problem recurs.....you need to isolate the issue between FUEL and IGNITION......another option would be to take a timing light out on the next excursion.....my guess is you are losing one or the other.....with the odds to fuel.

Looks like it is the low pressure fuel pump, they only register 6 PSI normally, but once it begins to sputter it drops to 0.

ok...next question I'd ask is this one: Is it the pump that's failing or is it the control mechanism (usually the oil pressure switch)??

Back