Logo

2002 mercury optimax 150 revving at full throttle when I turn the key...

phyrefighterjay

you heard it right...another optimax with a problem...its an 2002 150 optimax..after running it for a while (30min at 3200 rpm) I shut it off and started fishing one of my favorite holes...after about an hour of sitting I started it up and it instantly started revving to full throttle...I immediately shut it down...tried starting it again....same thing. So i took the cover off and noticed gas around the fuel vaporization unit (the thing that holds the fuel water separator)...I let it sit for a while and it started regular..I drove it home....I took it out again on the 4th of july and it did it again...I did the same actions...(starting it twice/shutting it down/ removing cover/restart) This time I noticed that my temp was climbing...and continued to climb at idle/slow speed...until I got it up on plane and then it cooled down...(probably a separate issue) but my impeller is ok and brand new. what do you think?

I found a hole in that tube this morning.... but it appears to be simply a vent tube going straight up to the flywheel cover, dosent seem like much if there was a hole in the hose, or any hose there at all!

Back