Logo

1995 Johnson VRO system

jeff68981

1995 Johnson 150 ocean runner 2 stroke J150EXEOM

Can anyone tell me if the vro system on this year model for the most part reliable? I realize there is no guarantee that it will not ever go bad, just wondering if the system maybe a upgrade say from previous years. Like most debating weather to bypass or not. Is there a test to see that it is working like it should or is it is either working or not no in between?

the 1995 vro is terrible, ive got 2 of them if you want to come and collect them, I would never use vro its total crap.
go back to old style the more reliable and far more consistent to the motor to have 50 to 1 ..
pre-mix also saves having that stupid extra tank and line on the boat drawing moisture into the oil..

there is no test to check it, and no way of knowing what the ratio its at any given rpm.. it was just a gimmick to pass emissions.. terrible idea ...

The factory manual has some test procedures to evaluate the performance of a VRO pump.--------The pump is very reliable !----But the owner operator must do some regular tests on it.-------Also maintenance on the filter in the tank etc.

Get the factory manual for the test procedures. The VRO itself is a good system that works very well. You have the OMS 4 wire pump and the ones I have seen fail actually tend to over oil the motor. A lot of the problems people blame on the VRO were never the VROs fault, it was usually a lack of maintenance.
A couple of things you need to know about the VRO is
#1 Try not to disconnect the fuel line or run out of gas because the oil side of the pump will fill the carbs with oil.
#2 I always run BRP 2+4 fuel treatment in my tanks and add extra for winterizing and I don't drain the carbs.

People who tell you they are crap usually have no idea about how it works and never did the required maintenance of it or just want to complain about something. I will take a lot of grief about saying that but I DON"T CARE. I have used the VRO on several of my OMC motors it has been a good system and I like it very much. The people who work on them or are in the know like the system. People who don't like them will get their information off of the internet and spout that as the truth.
That being said the the VRO systems before 1988 are not good systems and should have been updated or removed. They pretty much had a good system after 1987. I have seen more motors wrecked by people who forgot to mix the gas and oil than VRO failures.

Get the factory manual for the test procedures. The VRO itself is a good system that works very well. You have the OMS 4 wire pump and the ones I have seen fail actually tend to over oil the motor. A lot of the problems people blame on the VRO were never the VROs fault, it was usually a lack of maintenance.
A couple of things you need to know about the VRO is
#1 Try not to disconnect the fuel line or run out of gas because the oil side of the pump will fill the carbs with oil.
#2 I always run BRP 2+4 fuel treatment in my tanks and add extra for winterizing and I don't drain the carbs.

People who tell you they are crap usually have no idea about how it works and never did the required maintenance of it or just want to complain about something. I will take a lot of grief about saying that but I DON"T CARE. I have used the VRO on several of my OMC motors it has been a good system and I like it very much. The people who work on them or are in the know like the system. People who don't like them will get their information off of the internet and spout that as the truth.
That being said the the VRO systems before 1988 are not good systems and should have been updated or removed. They pretty much had a good system after 1987. I have seen more motors wrecked by people who forgot to mix the gas and oil than VRO failures.

Ditto..Have 2 motors with VRO Systems..no problems...just basic maintenance is all that is required. J

Back