Logo

fuel pouring from upper carb overflow and bubbling up around main jets 1983 johnson 115hp

dngbt5

What I have. 1983 (mainly this is a rebuild I purchased) Johnson 115hp.

What I have done:
  • Many things that have nothing to do with the issue I currently have. The rebuilder was lacking in many ways and I spent an entire season diagnosing and fixing the issues he left me with.
  • One of the many thing I did do was rebuild the carbs completely. I did have this motor running great for 1.5 seasons. However last season she was running perfect and I decided to clean my inline fuel filter and the filter on the fuel pump (neither were too bad - fuel pump filter almost perfect). I also decided to replace all fuel lines at that time.
  • I do the blow test every time before re- installation.

What I am experiencing.
  • fuel pouring from the upper carb through the brass overflow tubes and bubbling around the main jets, however this does not start immediately. After rebuilding the primer bulb get nice and hard with no leaks and runs perfect. However after sitting sometimes 30 minutes to 1-2 days the bulb goes soft as to be expected but when I squeeze it I then get a leak. When testing in the driveway the carbs leak when the bulb leaks of coarse. I have rebuilt and replaced the needles and seats 5 times and readjusted the floats probably 10 times. I have also replaced the floats. However i have finally noticed that when the fuel is leaking when squeezing primer as I disassemble I decided to squeeze the bulb to see if any changes take place or it leaking stops and to my surprise it does. I have had different results sometimes it is when I loosen a few of the bolts on the air intake however the most consistent has been when I loosen not remove the top left bolt holding the carb onto the motor. I have ran the motor and everything looks and sounds perfect but I have done this before and then I come back and it leaks again.
This just doesn't make sense. It should be the float and needle assembly that can cause this and nothing else that I know of. How could loosening the bolts make such an immediate change/fix. I have tapped on the bowl to see if it just needs help seating but that does not work. This is not making sense at all. I forgot just to be certain I did order new carbs and that did not fix the issue so I went back to the originals.

Please help I think about this in my sleep. Nothing is making sense to me here. I know many of you will say needle, seat, and float but I have done all of that many times. I have adjusted that float from level to almost 1/2 inch of level. Why would the valve seat for hours to days and run on multiple tests to then after sitting start leaking until I loosen 1 or 2 nuts?:confused:

Thank you all in advance for your advice and expertise.

Back