Logo

1999 J90PLEEB 90HP Need Help Figuring this out.

Hello, New to Forum and could use some guidance running out of money to try many more new parts.

I have 1999 90 HP Johnson Outboard.
Purchased New on 1750 Fish-hawk Crestliner Boat in 2000.
-Issue; Long 20 minute waiting to load boat back trolling in strong winds. Died a couple times but never liked low idle.
Put back in water 1 hour later started great then died. High idle started up and drove to dock and when I put in neutral it died. Hand cranked on trailer since it wouldn't start. Starter seemed strong but acted like it was flooded?

-Replaced spark plugs and backed in access to test run a couple days later. Ran less than 3 minutes and Temp alarm went off.
After reading forums decided to order new water pump kit, thermostats, and fuel filter.
Water pump working great, and cool water coming out. Laser temp gun showed left bank at 130 and right at 150 when running with muffs at home.

-Temp sensors tested fine but still went off. In addition my tachometer with the 4 test lights on the gauge after the motor was already running I put in gear and when I pulled it back to neutral it ran back through the test lights again.
I couldn't figure it out so I replaced the gauge and both temp sensors.

After I put all back together I went back out to lake started awesome and ran great. I left on trail but ran in forward neutral and reverse for 5 minutes.
Thought we had it figured out so I drove 6 miles away to a lake I wanted to fish.
Backed off trailer started good no lights quick reverse to get out of the busy ramp and when i put it in neutral it died.
Key of forward neutral reverse neutral and then it key. Fired right up running great but now the temp alarm is going off. I was fairly sure it wasn't hot so I put in forward and took off. Temp alarm went off so I hit it full speed with no power issues. Got half way down the lake and pulled it to neutral and it died just like you turned the key off. Would turn over great but no fire. Fished for an hour and tried again nothing. Trolled back to access but still wouldn't start so i cranked on trailer. Did a spark test that night and had good spark on left side [Port] and week on right.

Did a compression test and had 130 range in all cylinders.
Did a fuel Pump Test and had fuel at hose going into carbs on each side and had oil mixed well.
Did a spark test and now have none. replaced plugs and still no spark.
Tried unplugging Black and yell wire from key switch and still no spark.

Throttle sensor on top of motor?

What should I test next? How to link or info?
I do not have a service manual.

Any helpful information is appreciated.

Back