Logo

1990 70 HP Evinrude VRO Problem

StevieP

Experiencing an alarm at slow (trolling) speed which my be a 'low' or 'no' oil alarm. Comes and goes in random intervals. I would say half a second on and half a second off. Engine running great and no alarm at fast speeds. Plenty of oil in the reservoir. Engine passing lots of water which isn't hot. I replaced this unit many years ago when it was diagnosed as a faulty alarm. Is this a common problem with other OMC alarms?

have you thought about cleaning the filter in the oil tank ? and what about the tiny little skinny oil filter under the hood ?
have you cleaned oil out of oil tank and filtered it to make sure it is not gelling at the bottom of the oil tank ?
what about checking the oil line itself for a blockage ?

That is the no flow alarm start mixing your gas and oil I mix Amsoil 100-1 until I find the problem. Start looking at all the clamps especially if you used the OMC plastic clamps. If you clean the filter in the tank you have to Bleed the whole system. Those alarms can go bad not common but it can happen. You can also have a bad tank sensor which is more common especially if it is the original.

Last edited:
That fast every other second beep indicates that oil is not being supplied to the VRO properly. When that alarm sounds, apply some pressure to the primer bulb at the oil tank to force possible air in the line to move along. I The line may simply need re-priming as follows.

(Priming The VRO Pump)
(J. Reeves)

When hooking up or installing a VRO whether it is a new or original VRO pump, it must be primed in order to dispel any air that might be in the oil line.

Have the Oil line attached to the engine fitting BUT detached from the VRO. Add a piece of fuel hose if necessary to the oil line so that it can be aimed into some sort of container.

Pump the oil primer bulb, catching the oil flowing out of the line into the container until you are absolutely sure that you have rid the oil line of every bit of air that might have been trapped there.

Now, connect the oil line to the VRO and secure it. When the oil line is secured, apply pressure to the oil primer bulb ONE TIME only. That's it.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Thanks! That would be correct in this case as I'm a biologist not mechanic. Are you suggesting to go to a mechanic? It just puzzles me why it only happens at low speeds.

I would check the pulse line that is behind the pump and make sure you have the blue pulse limiter. I would also bleed the whole system and buy a factory manual for the motor.

Back