Logo

1970 Mercury 650 Thunderbolt 4cy - Power issues

jdpboom

1972 Power Cat Angler
1970 Mercury 650

Events: Engine would start easily, idle, and increase rpm while on muffs.
Put it in the water, start easily, idle, then bog down and die.
Ran the traps and discovered a tear in the fuel pump diaphragm. Ordered replacement from marineengine.com, received and installed.
Put it in the water, ran great, lots of power, sounded fine.
Next trip out (2 days later) while out spotting potential fishing spots, ran out of fuel. I had previously filled both my boat tank and my backup with ethanol free. However, it is scarce in my area, and this particular day, the one place that has it was closed. So I topped off my boat tank (about 2 gallons) and filled my backup. When it "ran out" there was about a gallon remaining, so I went ahead and added 2 gallons. This is when the issues that I am battling now began. It started right up, as usual, but this time when I would open the throttle, is was way down on power and RPM. It began surging like it had debris in the line.
Pulled it home and began running fuel lines. After not finding anything and putting it back together, fuel began running out of the cowling when I pumped up the bulb. Broken fuel line. Another order placed with marineengine.com, another part arriving quickly and correctly, and installed.
Put it in the water yesterday, started, idle, low speed (no wake zone) does fine, open it up, no power.
Home: Fuel system again, a LOT of debris in filters, jets, bowls. Made perfect sense being I had the cracked fuel line and was sucking air for a short while.
Reassemble, on muffs, start great, idle great, RPM run up fine.
This morning, back out for a test, start, idle, slow speed fine, open up:no power.
Just will not go.
Thoughts, suggestions, trails, anything can help??

I have a similar problem with my 1972 650 3 cylinder. I bought is used and it had been sitting for a while so I new it would need some additional work. The starter motor was replaced before I purchased it and it started and ran fine. I mounted it to my 16ft starcraft and check the fluids and checked for fuel leak. It started and idled fine in my driveway before taking it out on the water.
When on the lake the motor took a few tries but it started. Ran slow through the no wake zone then opened the throttle and off we went. Traveled a mile down the lake motor running smooth a ;ttle over 4800 rpm and 33 mph...GREAT! Then took a gradual left turn to return in the other direction. After the turn I noticed the rpm's dropped a little but the engine was still full throttle and sounding good. Half mile down the lake I took a very sharp left turn and the engine lost power. RPMs dropped to 2300 with throttle full open. I backed off on the throttle for a 30 seconds then slowly increased the throttle and got very little power, and when I pressed to WOT the engine stalled. The engine would start right up and idled no problem, but again I could only get 2300 rpm when opening the throttle. I felt like the motor wanted to go but it just started to bog down the more I increased the throttle.

I did the following to try and fix the problem.

1. Found a fuel leak and replaced all the fuel hoses.
2. Replaced the sparkplugs.
3. Replaced the ignition wire.
4. cleaned the carburetors (2).
5. Replaced old and damaged wires.

I took the boat out again got the RPM up to 2800 rpms, but pretty much the same problem.

Planned winter work.

1. Completely rebuild carburetors.
2. Check compression.
3. Replace reed valves. (maybe)

If anyone has other suggestions or ideas they would be appreciated.

Thank you

Do the compression test first.-----Replacing the reed valves involves openening the crankcase to get to the reed blocks and is a LOT of work !!-----You did replace the water pump impeller I hope.

Thanks for responding. I have not replaced the pump impeller yet. The old impeller was working, but not at designed flow rate, so I took the motor out to try it. Now I have the replacement impeller which I can replace this weekend and test. Do you thing I damaged the engine by not replacing the impeller when I got the motor?

Back