Logo

Spark plug question

Prop Nut

I have a 150 hp Johnson 1995 model(J150EXEOM).When looking up spark plugs on this site I first went to the parts page for this model and open the spark plug page common replacement parts and it lists QL77Jc4 as the correct plug.But if you go to the exploded diagram page for the crankcase it shows QL82Yc as the plug. A local shop sold me the Ql82yc. Are these correct? Does one number replace the other.It has the Ql77jc4 in it now . The vro has been disconnected and the ql77jc4 plugs seem to foul quickly but it maybe due to over oiling as we premix in a 70 gallon inboard tank. Thanks

The omc ( BRP ) list for these model engines is actually 3 plug types.....QL82YC...optional QL77JC4.... optional AND QL16V.

there is no mention at all of the ql78yc for this model, unless that is yet another service bulletin.

I was going by what omc/brp has listed as the correct plug, but FAZTBULLET & BOOBIE are correct...

Just read somewhere else that Bill ghor wrote that omc did change from the 78's to the 82, but a year or so later went back to the 78's ?...
he also says there was a service bulletin and to keep using the 78's.

so now we can see where the conflict on the plugs comes from....... QL78YC is the way to go.....

you would think that all the service bulletins would be used in service manuals, and 100% updated at BRP and their dealerships.

Selling an official workshop manual with the wrong information is very poor show..

Never use a service manual/part diagram to go by sparkplug spec as these change...use the latest BRP spark plug guide

Back