Logo

Failed exhaust hose

essikr

My Crusiers with twin 351 engines had a exhaust hose fail on the starboard engine .The interior of the hose had collapsed I heard the hose pop and shut the engine down . The water temp was normal when it happened. Putted back to marina on the port engine. Prior to replacing the hose I checked the oil level and it was normal.Replaced the hose and attempted to start the engine but had trouble getting it to turn over. Had to jump the batteries together to get it started. The engine ran fine and idled normal. I shut it down and rechecked the oil level and found water in the oil. I plan on draining the oil and changing the filter next week. Any ideas on what to do if I find water again? Again the engine water temp was normal when the hose popped .

Sorry,guess I didn't provide enough information.The 3 inch hose from left head. It opened up just past the clamp at the manifold. When removed the hose inner wall was collapsed restriction the water flow.

Last edited:
You really wanna get the water out of the crankcase as soon as possible.....

When was the last time the elbows were changed? ditto for impeller replacements, in the raw water pumps?

If they're good hoses they should last a long time... Did this engine ever experience an issue where it ran without any ( or low) raw water flow? Hose life is about nil if there isn't a lot (typically on the order of 20 gal per min @ cruise speed per elbow) of cooling water mixed into the exhaust stream.

THE impeller on that engine was replaced earlier in the season. The temp started to increase ,ran back to dock before changing it . So that would explain the early hose failure. The boat is more than two hours from home, trips to it are limited. Is there an explanation for the water other than a serious problem.
I am ordering a new hose for the other side thinking it to may be bad or will soon. I didn't take it off the manifold to check.

When were the elbows changed last?

Its possible the elbows have 'clogged up' and that caused the hose failure and could be a contributor to the water in the oil as well.....without all the history, the other members here can only speculate......

Back